Menu

How do you pray? (obviously cc)

We've been talking about prayer a lot in several different bible classes at church. On Wednesday we've been discussing the Lord's Prayer. It's very interesting to really think about what the instruction in prayer means. We've all basically agreed that the idea is to pray for God's will to be done in every situation. So when we pray for something and don't get an answer or not the answer we'd hoped for, we have to accept that it's God's will -right?

So today we were talking about Elijah praying for the rain to stop, and it did for 3 years. Then he challenges the prophets of Baal to see if they can have their sacrifices consumed by fire, or if the God of Israel can do it. In his prayer he says it is so God can turn the people's hearts back to God. Which I'm sure is in line with God's will. He knew that the miracle of the sacrifice being ignited by heavenly fire would prove the power of God over the power of Baal. Then he prays for the rain to come, and it does.

In James it talks about Elijah and says he was a man "just like us" and his earnest prayer stopped the rain and started it again. Did he pray, knowing what the answer would be? I believe in the power of prayer to change things, but I seldom pray for things to change, just for God's will to be done - since that is what should happen anyway, right? But if there is something you earnestly desire, not for selfish reasons, but because you believe it to be right and will serve God, how do you pray for that without becoming attached to the outcome? Is that clear as mud?

I'm having a hard time balancing the idea of praying for specific outcomes and just praying for God's will and hoping that it is the outcome I desire. does that make sense? Just hoping for some wisdom from you ladies (and gentlemen ) if you would care to share.

Hmmm, it's late and I should really be sleeping! After a day full of prayer for loved ones, attending a Christening and watching Jesus Christ Superstar, this has been on my mind a lot. Dh and I spent a fair amount of time discussing it this afternoon. So, with a sleepy head, here are my thoughts:

I think prayer is meant to both give us strength and support as well as guidance. I feel my "results" of prayer or outcome are best when I attempt to align myself with God's will. I am fully aware when my motives are selfish and I pray for my selfishness to be replaced by a true desire to do God's will, as well as accept it. Does that make sense and answer your question? Dh is much better at explaining this and I wish he was still awake!

We've been talking about prayer a lot in several different bible classes at church. On Wednesday we've been discussing the Lord's Prayer. It's very interesting to really think about what the instruction in prayer means. We've all basically agreed that the idea is to pray for God's will to be done in every situation. So when we pray for something and don't get an answer or not the answer we'd hoped for, we have to accept that it's God's will -right?

So today we were talking about Elijah praying for the rain to stop, and it did for 3 years. Then he challenges the prophets of Baal to see if they can have their sacrifices consumed by fire, or if the God of Israel can do it. In his prayer he says it is so God can turn the people's hearts back to God. Which I'm sure is in line with God's will. He knew that the miracle of the sacrifice being ignited by heavenly fire would prove the power of God over the power of Baal. Then he prays for the rain to come, and it does.

In James it talks about Elijah and says he was a man "just like us" and his earnest prayer stopped the rain and started it again. Did he pray, knowing what the answer would be? I believe in the power of prayer to change things, but I seldom pray for things to change, just for God's will to be done - since that is what should happen anyway, right? But if there is something you earnestly desire, not for selfish reasons, but because you believe it to be right and will serve God, how do you pray for that without becoming attached to the outcome? Is that clear as mud?

I'm having a hard time balancing the idea of praying for specific outcomes and just praying for God's will and hoping that it is the outcome I desire. does that make sense? Just hoping for some wisdom from you ladies (and gentlemen ) if you would care to share.

Your post reminds me of of the song "Unanswered Prayers" by Garth Brooks. I think we can pray specific prayers but in the end it really is all about God's will and desire for us. How many times have we planned out our lives only to be led down different paths? That's why, for me, the Lord's Prayer really is perfect--"Your kingdom come, Thy will be done..." I find comfort in those words, knowing that ultimately it is what God wants for us, not our own desires.

I really like Dana's answer. She wrote "I simply talk to God all day long. I figure he'll understand my thoughts and ramblings." I do this also and do my best to remember that in the end it's His will to be done.

I pray for specific things, but accept that if I don't get what I ask for, then it's because it wasn't God's will and He knows best. Usually the prayer is something like, "Lord, if it's your will that (insert specific result), then I pray that you would open the doors." Sort of like Jesus' prayer in the garden, "If this cup could pass from me... but not My will but Yours be done."

I'm not saying it's easy to not get 'attached to the result' as you said. When I was pregnant and bleeding I prayed that I wouldn't miscarry. God didn't answer my prayer. I wasn't happy about it, but I had to accept that God had a purpose and trust Him.

Wish I had more time to answer now, but I've got to start school.

Blessings,

Megan