Menu

Pop-up camper info/advice?

Someone near us is selling an older pop-up camper. The canvas is less than two years old, it has new tires and wheels and a working stove setup (also relatively new, I think. From the interior photos, it looks very 70s/early 80s, but the beds look to be in good shape. It looks like they've been using it (i.e., it hasn't been stored in a garage for 10 years). They're asking $600.

DH and I have been wanting to start semi-camping, but I really don't want to do the whole "tent on the ground" thing (I know, I'm so lame :rolleyes:). I was thinking this might be a good middle ground.

Does anyone have any advice or suggestions? Is there anything I should know about old pop-up campers? Do you think my minivan could pull it? I know my parents' neighbors have a pop-up, and I don't think they have a big truck or anything like that. I'm assuming we'd have to keep in the garage year-round, right? Do old pop-ups get moldy and gross in places I couldn't see? Anything special we should look for?

I would love some input here, if you have it. I have no knowledge in this area whatsoever. TIA!

I grew up pop up camping and now we have our own pop up camper now (but we bought ours new).

Definitely definitely look for water damage to be sure that the roof or something doesnt leak. We store our camper in the driveway outside. There's not enough room in our garage. As for towing it, we tow ours with our mini van. Find out the weight of the camper, loaded. Then find out what your GVWR is on your vehicle. Definitely do not tow it if it is over the limit....too dangerous.

When you go and look at the camper, look under the mattresses, make sure there are no holes in the canvas, pull out the awning and examine it if there is one, look in all the drawers and cabinets to check for water damage. Look on the walls and floor for water damage. Ask to hook it up and test out the electrical system, lights, gas, and the air conditioner if it has one. With an older model, it probably does not have an LP detector or a carbon monoxide detector (maybe not even a smoke detector) so you will need to get those if you decide to purchase it.

Good luck! Camping is fun!

We started out with tents, went to used pop-ups and now (for 4 years) we have had a brand new pop-up. They are great! We had 2 previous used and I agree with the above advice---look for water leaks, damage and if it has a sink, check to make sure the hoses don't leak. $600 is a good price. We paid $475 for our first (tiny) camper and $1000 for our 2nd used pop-up and got LOTS of use out of them. When we had our 3rd child, we got a new pop-up with more bed space....just remember you can only store so much in one and the rest will be packed in your towing vehicle......we had a S-10 to begin with to pull and it was fine....we have a full-size truck now which helps with hauling bikes, coolers and chairs.

I'd say go for it and enjoy the summer. I grew up camping and my kids have too and we look forward to it every summer. We have even went camping in the fall and took our school work with us. How great to do our school work on the picnic table and getting done so we can hop on our bike and head to the nearest trail - all before noon!