Menu

Measles vaccine and rash

Okay ladies and gentlemen, I am not wading through the 30 page thread on this when I am just looking for a quick answer. My nephew recieved his MMR vax just over a week ago. He has fever and now has a mild rash which the health nurse told my sister was because the vax is a live culture and it is like a mild mild case of measles and not to worry. That is all fine for him BUT we have been around them lots the last couple days including tonight. Isabelle is NOT vaccinated, and they were playing pass the soother with his pacifer today as well as sharing snacks etc. Is there any chance she is going to be getting measles as a result of his rash following his vax? My sister didn't mention it to us until the end of the night after they had been playing together like that for 5 hours.

No, he is not contagious. Your kids won't get measles from him. :)

phew! That is good to know. My older kids never had any reaction to their MMR when they got it. Isabelle can't get vax's so I was worried for her. Good to know it is no concern.

It is a live virus vaccine, so even without the rash it is possible to pass it on to someone who is not vaccinated. My healthy kids cannot even get live vaxes, because they would have to be away from my son with cancer for 21 days to allow for virus shed (this is one of the few things that my son's oncologists can agree on:)). I don't know if having the rash makes your nephew any more contagious or not, but he was contagious even without the rash. Of course either way that does not mean that your dd will automatically get it.

Hopefully she will be fine. Measles can be icky, but just keep in contact with the ped if she does develop symptoms. Please avoid contact with immune compromised or the young and old as much as possible during the incubation period.

It is a live virus vaccine, so even without the rash it is possible to pass it on to someone who is not vaccinated. My healthy kids cannot even get live vaxes, because they would have to be away from my son with cancer for 21 days to allow for virus shed (this is one of the few things that my son's oncologists can agree on:)). I don't know if having the rash makes your nephew any more contagious or not, but he was contagious even without the rash. Of course either way that does not mean that your dd will automatically get it.

Hopefully she will be fine. Measles can be icky, but just keep in contact with the ped if she does develop symptoms. Please avoid contact with immune compromised or the young and old as much as possible during the incubation period.

That surprises me. While Varivax (the chicken pox vaccine) is occasionally transmitted to household contacts, the MMR isn't supposed to be contagious. Here is the CDC recommendation for MMR

Should immunosuppressed children receive MMR, Varicella, and PPD and should they receive them if they are in the household with immunosuppressed people?

PPD is not a vaccine. It is a screening test for tuberculosis. It can be administered at the same time as MMR and varicella vaccines. Specific questions related to PPD administration should be directed to TBInfo@cdc.gov. MMR and varicella vaccines should be administered to healthy persons who live in the household with someone who is immunosuppressed. You do not want to risk leaving the person susceptible and possibly bringing home measles, mumps, rubella, or varicella wild virus to an immunosuppressed person. MMR vaccine viruses are not transmitted through household contact. Transmission of varicella vaccine virus to a contact is not common. Most documented instances of vaccine virus transmission have occurred when the vaccinated person developed a rash. If the child develops a rash 7-21 days following vaccination, it is prudent to avoid prolonged close contact between the child and a susceptible person.

Oral polio vaccine should not be given to household contacts of immunocompromised people. That one is definitely contagious.

I just did a quick search and found that there have been a couple cases of mumps transmitted via the MMR vaccine, but no reported cases of measles. Couldn't find anything on rubella. I don't know much about mumps so don't know if that's a concern in immunocompromised patients. Mumps is typically mild, but I don't know what it would be like in someone with cancer.