Menu

"Natural Speller" (the program) -- anyone using this?

Stacia

I used The Natural Speller for several years with my older son. I really liked the lists of words, the spelling rules, and the ideas for teaching that the author gives in the book. For someone who is a "natural" language arts teacher, The Natural Speller would be a good choice. I found that it is not so much that the student needs to be a good speller to be successful with the program, but the mom needs to know how to use the information to properly teach the subject. I am NOT that kind of mom (very math & science oriented).

I needed more hand-holding with a program that is completely laid out. While using The Natural Speller, spelling got pushed to the side more and more until we were barely doing it. Both of my sons require more instruction in spelling than I was giving them. We switched to All About Spelling and love, love, love it.

So in a nutshell, if you are willing (and able) to take the information on teaching spelling that can be found in The Natural Speller and use it to actively teach your children, then it is a wonderful book. If there is any doubt, I would look at something else.

By the way, I still reference the book occasionally...like I said, I really like those lists!

HTH!

Jetta

We used Natural Speller for a few months. The ideas and lists seemed logically. I was excited to start our spelling adventure with what I thought was an insightful book! For the first few weeks my daughter flourished, but then it became a chore to get her to complete her daily word list activities. She also started to do poorly on the weekly test.

Nevertheless, we switched to Sequential Spelling about 4 months ago. She and my younger son are loving it (he just wanted to do what she was doing)! They are flourishing and write so much more outside of lessons! I do like the list of spelling rules in Natural Speller. (Though you can find spelling rules on the net/other books!)

It all depends on your educating philosophies! I personally think the Natural Speller method was busywork. For us, many of the activities were already incorporated into our grammar lessons through FLL.

Just my thoughts and experience...hope this helps.;)