Menu

No-knead bread emergency--any experienced bakers around?

OK, I finally mixed up a big batch of dough according to the "Artisanal Bread in 5 Minutes a Day" recipe that was posted here a few days ago. It calls for 6 cups of water and 13 of flour. I made it in an 8 quart container (and was really excited I found big containers at Smart and Final). I just opened the fridge after mixing it up just over an hour ago, and the whole container is already full. :eek: I thought it would be rising for a whole night--now I'm worried. Do I need a bigger bucket? Will it continue to expand and overtake my whole fridge? I'm hoping it will be fine, but I'm willing to try to find a larger container somewhere!

Can't help you on the size of your container as I only made 1/2 recipes trying it out. You might go ahead & make a loaf right now to help it not overflow. (It's supposed to be ready to make a loaf the same day as you make the dough). I would think it would continue to rise in the fridge & potentially overtake at least your shelf ;o)

OK, the bins came as a set of 2, so I moved half the dough to the other one. It had already expanded the lid off the first bucket, and was overflowing by about an inch, so I was just in time. Of course, moving it deflated it by about half, so now it looks pathetically small in its two huge containers. We'll see how it turns out... and please let me know if it says anywhere in the book how big a bucket you are supposed to use?

I thought it said 14 quarts. I had a tough time finding anything that big that would fit into my frig, so I settled on a 13-quart I found at Target. Two 8-quart containers should work fine. (I never thought of splitting the dough or I would have done it that way.)

I know this is too late but I was prob the one who posted the big dough recipe. I use a 2.4 gallon rubbermaid container and it is just about perfect - it almost fills it up completely when the dough has risen.

I've been baking all day, LOL. Right now we are waiting for our first batch of cinnamon rolls to come out of the oven using the basic bread dough recipe. The kids keep swarming into the kitchen to check on its progress.

It was indeed your recipe... but I just wasn't thinking quite how BIG it would get! I'm not sure I could fit a much larger container in my smallish (and very full) fridge), but I can manage to fit two of the 8 qts--luckily I bought square ones so they are space efficient.

Now--tell me about how to do the cinnamon rolls, and any other favorite variations?

OK, I finally mixed up a big batch of dough according to the "Artisanal Bread in 5 Minutes a Day" recipe that was posted here a few days ago. It calls for 6 cups of water and 13 of flour. I made it in an 8 quart container (and was really excited I found big containers at Smart and Final). I just opened the fridge after mixing it up just over an hour ago, and the whole container is already full. :eek: I thought it would be rising for a whole night--now I'm worried. Do I need a bigger bucket? Will it continue to expand and overtake my whole fridge? I'm hoping it will be fine, but I'm willing to try to find a larger container somewhere!

Can you post the link where the recipe is Please :)

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?p=69703#poststop

I'm using the one Dana posted from "Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day", though I'm thinking of baking it in my dutch oven, a la the NYT, rather than do the steam bath thing.... of course, you see how good I am with planning to bake! I'm lucky to went in to look at it, or my whole fridge would be a sticky dough mess.