Menu

Grammar Stage Lang. Arts?

Ok...I'm totally confused. I keep trying to read and re-read different threads and posts about language arts (grammar, spelling, reading/phonics, writing..what am I missing? vocabulary?) but I just get more and more bogged down. How do I figure out when to use FLL and WWE or Writing Strands...SW, and other curriculum, and what subjects those "count" for. If I (eventually, not 1st grade) use IEW, then do I not use WWE? Help....I'm over loaded...clearly! Could anyone please lay out a sample of what types of things are used in K(is this just phonics/reading and handwriting?), then 1st grade and then 2nd (and add if there are different subjects later on?) :confused:

Starting with a disclaimer: If you haven't read WTM yet, that should be your first step. Order it from PHP or get a copy from the library if you have to! It is going to explain all of this much better than I can. It is going to break down all the recommendations by grade level and tell you why SWB made the choices she made and what alternatives she might recommend also.

You start with a phonics program. The choice for that is the Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading. For grammar, the choice is First Language Lessons through 4th grade. For writing, it is Writing With Ease, and there are workbooks for 1 and 2, with 3 and 4 scheduled to follow. For spelling, the recommendation is Spelling Workout. These are the basic, standard recommendations.

For K, you use OPGTR and a handwriting book.

So for a first grader, you need to finish phonics if you haven't. Then you start FLL 1, WWE 1, and Spelling Workout A.

For 2nd grade, you do FLL2, WWE 2, and Spelling Workout B and C.

With all, you read a lot to the child, and when they are able, you have the child read aloud to you also.

As far as the writing programs go, SWB says that, if after FLL4, you switch to Rod & Staff English and are doing the writing exercises in it AND using the book at grade level, you don't need another writing program. WWE goes through 4th grade, and eventually, I think she plans to extend it, but the latest edition of WTM says that Rod & Staff is enough. The other writing programs are recommended if you are using one of the other grammar recommendations.

All of the other stuff you see here is out here because different things work for different children and different families. And the recommendations have changed with updates to WTM, so some people started in '99 and keep using what works for them. Some people here are not using WTM, some are using parts, and some are using all of it.

The book is going to really help you make sense of what you read here, and having it in print to go over will really help you evaluate your options.

Good luck and I hope this helps!

ETA: I gave you the "official" WTM recommendations, not necessarily my own choices, because in the end, it is a really personal choice. WTM is a great starting point, but most of us, as we become more comfortable, veer off here and there. I usually don't start spelling until phonics is finished. I don't start vocabulary until the child is reading chapter books, but I do use it before I start Latin.

Edited by Asenik

My approach is K is learning basic phonics and how to form letters and simply progress toward reading at whatever speed they do.

1st grade--phonics; basic spelling words; simple mechanics (First words in a sentence need a capital letter and sentences end with a puncuation mark) taught from copywork; continue to reinforce correct letter formation

2nd--same as first except adding more mechanics rules and beginning grammar (nouns, action verbs, adjs, advs) again taught from copywork

3rd--study paragraphs (topic sentence, supporting details, ending sentences) through copywork, move on toward keyword outlines and re-tells in own words, more grammar, spelling etc.

4th--independent paragraph writing (no more re-tells), etc

5th grade--multiple paragraph writing, etc.

Does that help?

(grammar, spelling, reading/phonics, writing..what am I missing? vocabulary?)

I think you're on the right track here - the only thing I would change is wait til middle/jr. high to do a vocab program - if your young kids are reading/being read to, and possibly studying a foreign language, they'll get enough vocab. til then. Just concentrate on the other four areas you listed.

How do I figure out when to use FLL and WWE or Writing Strands...SW, and other curriculum, and what subjects those "count" for. If I (eventually, not 1st grade) use IEW, then do I not use WWE? Help....I'm over loaded...clearly! Could anyone please lay out a sample of what types of things are used in K(is this just phonics/reading and handwriting?), then 1st grade and then 2nd (and add if there are different subjects later on?) :confused:

You can start FLL and WWE in grade 1 and use them together. Just edit out any FLL writing exercises that you think your child will "get" from WWE, unless the FLL exercises are specifically to practice a grammar/mechanics concept. I think WWE is an ideal foundation for any other writing program out there. You can always start the other writing programs after WWE is done.

I would just keep K for teaching reading and handwriting.

As for what things "count for" :

FLL = grammar

WWE or Writing Strands or IEW = writing instruction

HWOT = handwriting/penmanship

SW (Spelling Workout?) = spelling

OPGTR = phonics/reading instruction

Thanks all...

I have read WTM but there's so many suggestions...IEW, RS, SW, HWOT...then for phonics there's Abeka, OPGTR, ETC and the list goes on. So I think I have a little bit more clarity now. Thanks for the insight.

Hang in there, there are so many things on the market now. I have read WTM over and over again each year, and each time I get more insight into how to teach a certain area, and then that helps me to choose what books/programs/methods to use to teach.