Menu

TOG users (or anyone else), do you like the "America in the Time of..." series?

Guest Alte Veste Academy

Guest Alte Veste Academy

I get a description and one measly spread to view here. I think they look OK so far as fact-books go and could serve as a decent spine for primary American history if thickly padded by biographies and lit. However, I've been burned buying things sight unseen before. Any opinions on these books? Specifically, are they a true chronological presentation of history from each period or do they follow the person in the title too closely to provide a thorough overview of American history. Does that even make sense?

Basically, I'm looking for a well-rounded overview of American history for littles. Will this fit the bill?

Thanks!

Haven't seen them. Are they scheduled in the year 4 redesign? Guess they would fit year 3 more now that I think about it. Given no one else is posting I will put in my 2 cents, but know it really is a guess.

In the classic year 4 they have a series by the same publisher, but from the reading level it is designed for older students. They are listed as UG. They are called 20th Century Perspectives. What I like: large print, lots of pictures. What I don't like: they read like a text book, on the dry side but to the point. When it comes to the 20th century you don't have a lot of choices. I would think in the 1800's you could find something more interesting. Though that is assuming they are like the 20th Century Perspectives series.

Do your kids show a preference for text type book vs. living books? If they like text books then they would probalby love them (to the point, just the facts sort of thing).

Heather

We have used one (or was it two?) last year for Y3 LG. They are a good spine book for that level, sort of like Usborne books. On every page you have main text, some side info and lots of good pictures. They cover a lot of facts from the period around the titled person's lifetime. I wouldn't use them for a kid older then 12, best for LG age.

Guest Alte Veste Academy
Haven't seen them. Are they scheduled in the year 4 redesign? Guess they would fit year 3 more now that I think about it.

I found them looking around the TOG Bookshelf. I don't know if they're new or not. (Generally speaking, I have been trying to stay away from the temptation of the TOG web site until my dc are out of the grammar stage. :D) Yes, they came up in a search for LG history books for years 3 and 4.

In the classic year 4 they have a series by the same publisher, but from the reading level it is designed for older students. They are listed as UG. They are called 20th Century Perspectives.

How funny! TOG lists the 20th Century series as UG and the publisher lists it as secondary level. The "America in the Time of..." series is listed by TOG as LG and by the publisher as intermediate. Just from viewing the samples, I would probably agree more with TOG's assessment of the book levels.

What I like: large print, lots of pictures. What I don't like: they read like a text book, on the dry side but to the point. When it comes to the 20th century you don't have a lot of choices. I would think in the 1800's you could find something more interesting. Though that is assuming they are like the 20th Century Perspectives series.

From your description, I think they are similar but the content of the "America at the Time of..." series seems to be more colorful and appropriate for littles. They appear to be somewhat like DK books which DS6 LOVES. He will be in 1st grade next year and DD4 will be 5 and in K. DD4 still prefers picture books at this point and definitely likes a story more than facts. DS6 likes both. My goal would be to flesh this series out with chapter book biographies and more specific books about each period for DS6 and with a lot of picture books for both of them.

Honestly, I want someone to say just what you did...that these are OK and will fill my basic need for a spine. After looking at every narrative spine available and rejecting them due to racism, poor writing, an unpalatable world view, etc., etc., etc... Anyway, let's just say I'm ready to be done with the search! :lol:

Do your kids show a preference for text type book vs. living books? If they like text books then they would probalby love them (to the point, just the facts sort of thing).

OK. Sold! Thanks for pointing this out. I keep looking for something perfect for me (naturally! :lol:). I do not love DK books and just the facts. However, DS6 could read those books non-stop AND has learned tons by doing so. I'm going to give this series a whirl, I think.

Thanks for the input! It has been very helpful.

Guest Alte Veste Academy
We have used one (or was it two?) last year for Y3 LG. They are a good spine book for that level, sort of like Usborne books. On every page you have main text, some side info and lots of good pictures. They cover a lot of facts from the period around the titled person's lifetime. I wouldn't use them for a kid older then 12, best for LG age.

Thanks so much for this! DS6 does love Usborne and DK books...facts, facts, facts... The pictures will be appreciated by all. If they're best for LG age, then that's perfect for me. I'll beef them up with picture books and other living books about each period.

Thanks!

Guest Alte Veste Academy

Hey, look what I found! I should have known to search this site. They always have the BEST inside views of books! If you click on the individual titles, you can see additional views, including quite a few sample pages and the table of contents.

http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/easy_find?Ntk=keywords&Ntt=the+story+of+our+nation+from+coast+to+coast&action=Search&N=0&Ne=0&event=ESRCN&nav_search=1&cms=1&Go.x=0&Go.y=0&Go=Go

Edited by Alte Veste Academy

Hey, look what I found! I should have known to search this site. They always have the BEST inside views of books! If you click on the individual titles, you can see additional views, including quite a few sample pages and the table of contents.

http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/easy_find?Ntk=keywords&Ntt=the+story+of+our+nation+from+coast+to+coast&action=Search&N=0&Ne=0&event=ESRCN&nav_search=1&cms=1&Go.x=0&Go.y=0&Go=Go

Cool! Yes I would agree, from that sample, that they remind me a lot of DK and Usborne too, more so than the 20th Century books, which have a lot more text and fewer pictures. More of the pictures are also photos, and they are not all work for LG level. For example one book I picked up to glance through had a b&w photo of two men carrying children who had been burned by napalm. :blink: Given they are b&w it isn't horrendous, but I don't want to explain that to a LG student. My 6th grader will be reading them independently, and for her age that is fine.

Heather

Guest Alte Veste Academy
the 20th Century books, which have a lot more text and fewer pictures. More of the pictures are also photos, and they are not all work for LG level. For example one book I picked up to glance through had a b&w photo of two men carrying children who had been burned by napalm. :blink: Given they are b&w it isn't horrendous, but I don't want to explain that to a LG student.

Egads! I agree. I'm really trying to go for a basic overview of events while highlighting the major players. I'm not so interested in forcing the reality of history's atrocities onto my littles!