Menu

Writing Tales--how long for each book?

purplemama

I am a little confused from the description on the website and want some clarification from people who have used this. Does each workbook take one year? I want to start my son in these next year and then move on to Classical Writing. We will likely start with CW Homer (and complete it in one year) after WT2. He will be a 4th grader next year.

Thanks.

Jennifer

Well it takes about a week to go through each lesson. BUT some may be easier to do then others. Are you starting with WT2?

I know with WT1 there were some lessons in the beginning that my daughters flew through rather quickly, then as the lessons progressed the stories became longer so the lessons took about a full week to do.

I guess it would just depend on the child. If he is a voracious writer you may go through it quicker. If writing is difficult I would say most definitely it will take a year to complete.

Just curious as to what the rush into Homer is ? That would be a pretty tough level for most 4th5/th graders.At least that's what I think. Why not let him determine how long it takes?

A lesson a week was a very comfortable pace for us. With 30 lessons, that gave us 30 weeks which was a little shorter than our history year, science year, math year, etc., but was still pretty much a year. Late August through April. Both WT 1 and WT 2 have 30 lessons.

Dd went through WT1 at double speed - two lessons/week (same story each lesson). She didn't feel pushed and says she loves it. We actually started WT2 already over the summer and I'm going as written - she's calling it "half-speed while I have camps and stuff."

I'm thinking about taking one and a half weeks for two lessons... not quite as fast as last year. Dd really enjoys writing, though.

Thanks for all the responses. I actually was planning to spend two years in Writing Tales, but wasn't sure that it was supposed to take four years because each level has two grades listed. Writing is definitely my son's weak area. I hope that he can finish Writing Tales in two years and then move to CW Homer in 6th grade. I also hope that using models will help my son with his writing. He has no interest in creative writing, and currently the only writing he will do is dictation/copywork. I hope Writing Tales and CW will help with that!

Jennifer