Menu

Where does one go to find used Chalkdust Calculus?

I've been hunting around to see if I can pick one of these up used since the new prices are rather steep, but I've been unable to locate any. Is there a reason for this that I don't know about? Or is it just that so few people use it? I'm new to CD, so this is an honest question...

Thanks for your thoughts. If he were to take it at cc here it would cost us $600 - not to mention - I've heard some not so good things about the profs (as in talent for teaching). I guess I'll keep looking, then possibly shell out the $$ for new knowing I've got another son two years behind that will also need it soon.

In my experience, kids that have seen Calc in high school, then done it in college (ie NOT tested to place out of it) do well with their transition. Kids that place out of it sometimes get overwhelmed with 2nd semester Calc and adjusting to college at the same time. Kids that never see it ahead of time tend to do the worst (not always, but in general). This is not an official poll, but just years of hearing anecdotes as kids have returned home from college to tell us of their experiences. So... we want ours to see it and do it, then do it over in college (unless, maybe, if it comes super easy to him as all other math has).

I agree with the woman who posted before. I don't think you see it for sale used as much as the other levels because not as many tackle it at home or don't go that far in math.

Our ds used CD Calculus I at home with the dvds and tech support. He thought it was great. Our dd went through precal and didn't get as far as cal. I sold our CD calculus earlier this year on this board, so there are some sets out there to be found.

Another thought is to try to find the book and solution manual used and buy the dvds from CD (just make sure the tech support is included). I'm not sure if this would be a cheaper option or not, you'd have to see. I think you could find the books used by themselves much easier since they're commonly used in college. Also, I've found Barnes and Noble has great prices on new text books (this is with my membership). There are some other sites out there that sell new and used college texts even cheaper that Barnes and Noble, but we've had mixed experiences with them so I don't want to mention any names. Just want you to know that you can find even cheaper.

Our ds did great with CD Cal I at home but still decided to begin with Cal I at college. For him it was a great decision. Truthfully, the course was rather easy for him after going through CD. The professor used the same Calculus book as CD only ds had to buy the new edition so the assigned problems would match correctly (got it through Barnes and Noble). Otherwise, the book was identical in presentation of material and topics.

Not sure if that helps ... but wanted to share encouragement about the program in general. Good luck.

Our ds did great with CD Cal I at home but still decided to begin with Cal I at college. For him it was a great decision. Truthfully, the course was rather easy for him after going through CD. The professor used the same Calculus book as CD only ds had to buy the new edition so the assigned problems would match correctly (got it through Barnes and Noble). Otherwise, the book was identical in presentation of material and topics.

Not sure if that helps ... but wanted to share encouragement about the program in general. Good luck.

This sounds exactly like what we want our son to do, so I am glad to hear it worked for yours. Thanks, too, for the thoughts on how to look for potential cost savings. I've got a while I can hunt yet...

I ended up ordering the 8th edition books used through amazon. Chalkdust uses the 7th edition. I know that some others here also saved some money buying the 8th edition materials directly from the publisher.

However, purchasing the materials this way means that you don't have access to Chalkdust's support, but I think you can purchase their support separately from them.

I just looked at the publisher's website, and they used to list all of the ISBNs for the materials that went with the book. I couldn't find them, so here are the ISBNs for the materials I used.

Text 0-618-50303-X

DVDs 0-618-52804-0

Complete Soln Guide I (covers first 6 chapters, Calc I) 0-618-52793-1

Complete Soln Guide II (covers ch 7 - 10) 0-618-52794-X

If you are doing only Calc I, you only need the Soln Guide I. I ended up following an AP Calc AB syllabus that covered a small amount of material from chapters 7 & 8, so I needed the second solution guide.

HTH,

Brenda

I went with the new purchase route because I knew I wanted to get the Dana Mosely support part of the package and I figured that since I would have to pay a fee for that if I bought it used, well I just went for new.

One reason you don't see many used ones out there for sale is that many kids take it to college with them. I know our ds is planning to take his CD Calculus, Chemistry and Physics with him for reference and general backup.

Once he get through that first year, then I plan to sell them.

but I have the VHS version of the previous edition of Chalk Dust Calc that I snapped up last summer because of rarity of seeing it used. I have seen it recently on another homeschool swapboard but a quick search this morning doesn't show it. I would list it as a wtb item on homeschoolclassifieds board - that is a good place to pick up a used Chalk Dust sets. Have you checked with PA Homeschoolers - don't they sell used Chalk Dust sets?

Will keep my eye open for you on other boards. Glad to hear Cynde's comments because that is the philosophy I was taking - it doesn't hurt to repeat in college maybe at honor's level.

Happy Curriculum Hunting!

susie

I can vouch for taking it in high school before college for prep. I got my son through precalc. in high school, he tested ready for calculus for college. One person said to put him into precalc. again to help with his transition, I should have listened. He got a C in Calc. 1, and failed Calc. 2. He is a staight A student other than that (and a C in adv. Chem. taken first semester). You get the whole year to take Calc. 1 in high school, and only a semester in college. That was too fast for my son. He flat couldn't keep up.