Menu

Help! More science woes...

momto2Cs

I am trying at this point to decide between 4, yes FOUR, programs/plans, for a 3rd grader and 1st grader...

1. R.E.A.L. Science Odyssey (Life)

2. Elementary Life Science, from the Lab of Mr. Q

3. RS4K Biology, with additional reading and activities to make it a year long.

4. Homemade unit studies.

I'd love to hear pros and cons on any of these, but especially the first two. Thanks!

I used Elementary Life Science (Mr Q) this year with my 5th grader. I thought it was a good fit for him; although the writing was a bit easy a lot of the concepts/vocab were new to him. I'm planning on using his earth science materials in the fall.

However, I really think that life science the WTM way for grammar stage is something I wouldn't want my kids to miss. I did it four years ago with my oldest, and this year with my younger. Both times the kids enjoyed it *so* much and it really turned them on to science.

I'm not familiar with the other programs you mentioned...

I would probably go with R.E.A.L. I haven't used it yet, but I have 2 good friends who have used it with their kids and they loved it. I love having a planned program to follow.

I've purchased their Earth science for my 2nd grader next year. There are tons of experiments, and I know my dd will love it. I wish they had their Physics ready for my 4th grader next year :(

Guest Alte Veste Academy
I wish they had their Physics ready for my 4th grader next year :(

It's supposed to be ready fall of 2009...so I'm hoping early, early fall!

ETA: Never mind. I went looking for where I read that and apparently they moved the release date. Grrrrr.

http://www.pandiapress.com/faq.htm#Question1

Edited by Alte Veste Academy

Had I to do it over again, I would use Bob Jones. I did R.E.A.L. Science and RS4K. I liked them both, but wish I had picked a curriculum that had a little of a lot, instead of concentrating on one particular aspect. I think my ds would have benefited more from a general approach. There's plenty of time to spend a whole year on life science.

This coming school year, 7th grade, is the BJ life science year. We switched to BJ in 4th grade and have never looked back.

Just my two cents...

Guest Alte Veste Academy
wish I had picked a curriculum that had a little of a lot, instead of concentrating on one particular aspect. I think my ds would have benefited more from a general approach. There's plenty of time to spend a whole year on life science.

I also do not want to stick to one branch of science per year, as all the sciences are related. It seems to me that a discussion of weather could lead to habitats could lead to animal adaptations, etc., etc. So, I actually bought all the R.E.A.L. Science Odyssey Level 1 books that are available and will be combining them. I just wish they would have kept Physics on a fall 2009 release schedule.