Menu

Lake Michigan vacation spot

I need a quick opinion on where to vacation on Lake Michigan. We are trying to decide between Grand Haven and Holland. We have a family reunion at the end of the week in Grand Rapids. Two years ago we vacationed in South Haven and really liked it. Holland seems like it's quieter with less to do. Grand Haven seems like a more happening place with a lot of things to do.

Any opinions?? Thanks!

There's the Heinz pickle plant--I can't find any indication that you can go in and get a tour, but here's an article about the company's history in Holland, MI, and the Heinz Walkway, which provides access to the Lake Macatawa shoreline. http://www.hollandsentinel.com/news/x1603413613/The-role-of-Heinz-in-the-Holland-community

I grew up in Michigan, and I've been to Dutch Village a couple of times. I'd go back if I were in the area.

Edited by gardening momma

Well, I grew up in one and now live in the other.

Do you like the beach/water at all? If so, Grand Haven has a very nice boardwalk along the Grand River that goes out to the lake. You can walk this and then walk downtown, etc. In Holland the beach is a 15-20 minute drive from downtown.

What types of things would you like to do? You can email me and I could help you figure out hotels (Holland has more but many are near the mall/shopping, etc. not downtown or near the lake).

I can also help you figure out where to go, where to eat, etc.

Either way, it is only about 20-30 minutes from one to the other so you can easily do things in both places.