Menu

IEW High School Writing? Who's used it?

I'm very interested in purchasing IEW's High School Essay Intensive. You can view the product here: http://www.excellenceinwriting.com/index.php?q=product/high-school-essay-intensive

Has anyone used this? My dd is an excellent writer, we've never used IEW, but I'd like her to have intense prep for the SAT Essay. She'll be taking it in the fall for the first time. Questions:

1. Can I use this without her having done any IEW materials before?

2. Is now too early to start? Would it be better done in the fall? (I'm worried we wouldn't finish it.) My thought is to do this for the rest of her semester, and then review and practice from Aug. - Oct.

3. Who's used this? What do you think?

Thanks for any help you can give -

I heard him do a 45 minute talk at last year's FPEA (FL) homeschool convention. He was excellent. I was going to buy this set until I found out he was going to be teaching this live in Tampa this week. My older two are going to this class on Thursday and will be taught "live" by Andrew Pudewa. (I am going also!) The live classes ended up costing me more than the DVDs, but I thought it would be good for the boys to hear him live...maybe they would pay attention more!!!

We started using IEW this year and I have been very pleased. I have seen improvement in their writing, which is the important thing!

I will let you know how the course goes. Hopefully someone will be able to give you a review of the DVD course. I know it holds its value when you want to sell it.

I have been an IEW user for the last 2 years. This year I'm even teaching a class using SICC-B. I have not used the HS Essay program you are referring to; I probably will in a year or two. You would probably have better response if you ask on the IEW yahoo group (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/IEWfamilies). The FILES section is also full of information on using their programs.