Menu

LLATL Yellow

MrsMe

What skills is this light on and if so, is it worth supplementing or just doing everything (grammar/spelling/reading) separate?

Would it be a timesaver to do LLATL as opposed to having all the skills separate?

Does it use any weird verbage or does it use standard verbage. Some programs use some really strange verbage (like no other) and that drives me batty. :)

Also if we haven't had much grammar can we start 3rd grade for 3rd grade? Or is it advanced?

Edited by alilac

If you haven't had grammar you'll be fine with the yellow book. It covers things well. I like what another poster said. It's deceptively simple. It really is thorough. We liked it. It did a good job of covering skills. I don't think you need to add anything to it. The books studies were a little easy for my daughter and I had thought about moving up a level, but a friend of ours that did that said the skills were too hard for her daughter. She did the book studies, but I assigned reading more on her level for her. (which isn't hard--she loves to read)

We did use a different spelling program only because we had been using it and wanted to stick with it. So, I didn't make her do the spelling portions. (we would read the rule and read the words, but that was it) I really liked the analogies they had her doing.

HTH,

Patty

My daughter is working through Yellow right now. I'm hoping that we'll be doing Orange by the fall. Anyway, the grammar is GREAT for a 3rd grader with no previous grammar. Also, my dd is a natural speller so the spelling was plenty for her. My ds, who will start Yellow in the fall actually needs more spelling than is provided.

I'd say just do it "as is" for a year and then if you feel it is light in areas add on as needed.

I agree with the others. LLATL Yellow is a great fit for my son who had no grammar but is a voracious reader. He is however, not such a great speller so I found LLATL spelling to be too light for him. He needs more words and each week. So we basically do LLATL, just briefly look over the LLATL spelling words and add in SpellWell. It has been a good fit.

ETA: the analogies are fantastic!