Menu

Which is easier to teach from with a large family-SWR or AAS?

Quiver0f10

We have used SWR in the past and while I liked it, I didn't feel like it covered very well the syllabels and the rules that apply. I am not sure if this was SWR or my own fault. I might have missed something and I don't have the materials to look through.

I have bought AAS for fall because I like how the syllabels/rules are taught in clear, easy to understand lessons. But, after looking over AAS I am thinking SWR might be easier to teach with 4 or 5 students.

What do you think?

• 5 weeks later...

I agree AAS hands down. It is easier to implement and there is no minimum time commitment where with SWR they expect you to do a minimum amount (which is not a small amount) and the answer to every problem seems to be do more.

If we do ever use the SWR lists again we will use AAS methods to do so. I still have my oldest using the mark ups on her vocab words, so SWR hasn't been chucked out the window.

Heather

p.s. Right now I have the oldest three doing AAS and am working on Step 1 (learning the phonograms) with my ds.

I have never used AAS, but I have been using SWR...granted my oldest is only 6yo (take with a large grain of salt;)).

If you do phonogram/spelling rule drill as a family, that shaves off a good deal of overlap-time. An older dc could even drill the younger while you work with another.

If you can combine 2 or 3 kids in one list, that will shave off some time as well.

I have thought a lot about having my oldest review the lists while my middler goes through for the 1st time.......middler reviews a list while my youngest goes through for the 1st time..... I would continually have 2 lists going at all times, but never 3. :willy_nilly::svengo:

I clicked on this thread because it mentions SWR, which I am thinking about using with DS, 4.

I'm confused about how AAS is more expensive. On the AAS website, the Starter Kit is $25.95 and Level 1 is $29.95. That comes to less than $60.00. The core kit for SWR is $95.00. What am I missing?

With the SWR core kit you can teach all of your kids all of the spelling they will need to know. AAS has 6 levels, which I believe will all cost about the same, though they can be re-used with all of your children.

I have never used AAS, but I have been using SWR...granted my oldest is only 6yo (take with a large grain of salt;)).

If you do phonogram/spelling rule drill as a family, that shaves off a good deal of overlap-time. An older dc could even drill the younger while you work with another.

If you can combine 2 or 3 kids in one list, that will shave off some time as well.

I have thought a lot about having my oldest review the lists while my middler goes through for the 1st time.......middler reviews a list while my youngest goes through for the 1st time..... I would continually have 2 lists going at all times, but never 3. :willy_nilly::svengo:

There are several people who have combined children in AAS too. I don't because my kids are in really different places spelling wise (oldest is at a 7th grade level, 2nd dd is 4th and 3rd dd is 2nd). I just prefer working with them separately, but you could easily do it as a group. Just and FYI post for anyone who might wonder. :D

Heather

I forgot about this post! :D I did buy AAS, then sold it and rebought SWR. I have it all set up and ready to go and I think we will be OK time wise. I have already used SWR in the past and that alone will help me as I don't need to relearn it.

I'm combining my kids and we are doing a step a day of level A. It is going great. We've used SRW and Sequential in the past, and last year they did BJU DVDs. AAS is my favorite so far. SRW was just too intensive for me. It got shelved pretty quickly. I think resale on AAS is good, so I wasn't worried about the initial cost outlay.

There are several people who have combined children in AAS too. I don't because my kids are in really different places spelling wise (oldest is at a 7th grade level, 2nd dd is 4th and 3rd dd is 2nd). I just prefer working with them separately, but you could easily do it as a group. Just and FYI post for anyone who might wonder. :D

Heather

This is good to know! My dc are so close in age, and I know the year they are 6yo, 7yo, and 9yo is going to kill me if I don't do some combining somewhere!:001_huh: