Menu

Calvert or K12 for 2nd grade?

happyWImom

We used Calvert for Pre-K, so I don't have firsthand experience with that grade, but my overall impression of the curriculum is that it's academically solid, but very "schooly." I mostly felt like (from my experience with Pre-K and the catalog and online samples) it was private-school-in-a-box. K12 looked very "schooly" to me, too.

I have heard that some people consider Calvert boring, and K12 to have loads of busywork, to the point of having difficulty finishing their work each day.

I have used Calvert from grade 1-5, and have used K12 for Kindergarden.

My suggestion? Go with K12. K12 has a better program. Calvert is dry and boring and very textbookie. It only caters to the student and parent who want a textbook type curriculum. K12 caters to children that are visual, auditory and kinestetic learners.

Both Calvert and K12 have busywork. But you can easily cut that stuff out so its really not an issue.

If I had to do it over again I would of gone with K12 with my daughters from the get go. I know Calvert has sent me into burn out. I literally can not teach another year of it because it is so boring. The only thing we have enjoyed from Calvert is the literature in 3rd, 4th and 5th grades and Children's History of the World. Other then that, plahhh. I don't have to much good to say about Calvert after using it all these years.

The one thing that grated on my nerves with Calvert was their writiing instruction. Its beyond awful and I'm trying to do damage control now because of it.

I can't comment on K12 writing in the upper grades as we haven't made it that far.

I've been with 2 virtual schools in our state for 4 years and we are ending this year with them. We've had an over all good experience but the demands will send you into burn out if you are teaching more then at least two students. Guarenteed!

I love both. Call me strange but if it is something that will get done on a regular basis consistently, then I love it. I tried and used and still uses one or both, and the periods that I used either of them or both at the same time, was and is my most successful teaching time for me and learning time for my kids. Calvert can get textbookish (if there is such a word) and plain mind numbing boring but I don't see or view it that way. If I come across that is just unbelievably tedious and dull, I just skip that and never come back to that portion again. This is my formula in dealing with materials that can put you right to sleep. All I'm concern and my main goal is to get school done faithfully and consistently. I don't entertain my kids' complaints but once in a while listens to their input, but most of the time, we plough through and continue. In doing so, the learning starts happening. Does this makes sense?

So, I'll be the odd man out, and I vote for both Calvert and K12. I use them, it gives me the framework to teach the material, and my kids and I learn.