Menu

Anyone live near St. George Utah

Personally? This time of year? I'd look for something inside with air conditioning.

That said, all I have to recommend are outdoor or non-AC activities. :001_huh:

For outdoor activities, visit Snow Canyon State Park (the kids can play in the sand dunes--bring shovels and buckets) or Zion National Park (it's cooler there than in St. George and there are some hikes the 3yo could do (and some stroller-friendly trails).

For history, visit Jacob Hamblin's house or Brigham Young's Winter House. Silver Reef (mining) ghost town is also interesting.

Finally, be sure to go the Shakespearean Festival in Cedar City. (You might want to go on the weekend so your husband can go.) They even have childcare onsite for kids who are too young for the plays.

We were there for spring break a few years ago. We hiked Zion's for a few days. There is a fun indoor swimming pool (with water slides), a dinosaur dig site (not very big, we were only there an hour max). There is also a natural history-type museum and an art museum, although we didn't have enough time to do these. My kids were dying to go to the go-cart place we drove by. There is also a visitor's center for the LDS temple that is free and open to the public, as well as Brigham Young's home to tour. There is a little historic downtown--with a fun candy/ice cream shop to go to. And I have a friend who goes twice a year just for the Tuacahn (outdoor theater) plays. I think these are separate from the Shakespeare Festival. At any rate, there are always various plays/shows being put on and everyone raves about them.

Hmm, it seems I had found a helpful website that listed all of these things. I'll do a little searching and see if I can find it again.

Have fun!

If it's hot:

Veyo pool is fun

Pine Valley is where the locals go to picnic on hot days

If the temperature isn't too bad:

Snow Canyon is fun for rock climbing. Don't let the name fool you; it's named after people named Snow. It is very rarely snowy. :)

Tuacahn is a theater in a canyon setting, beautiful.

Okay, so if you check out www.utah.com/stgeorge/ I think you'll find links to a lot of fun things to do with your family.

For Zion's, it is very family-friendly--you ride a shuttle in & out and then get off and go on the various trails. There are easy ones that you could do with a little one and others that are more challenging. If you've never been to the area, you shouldn't miss it! Kolob Canyons is not far away--we've only driven through, but there are beautiful views. I think we paid $25 to get the family into Zion's & we could use that pass at other parks in the area, too, for a week, if I remember correctly.

Sand Hollow Aquatic Center is the indoor pool w/slides I was referring to. If I remember correctly the cost was about $4/5 per person. My kids (ages 1-11) had a lot of fun there and I loved not worrying about sunscreen.

St. George Dinosaur Discovery Site is where we went to view discovered dinosaur tracks. It was around $4/5 per person--although it was a lot smaller than we had anticipated and we kind of felt like it wasn't worth that much money! :-)

The Fiesta Fun Family Center is the one my children saw and wanted to go to--go-carts, miniature golf, etc. There is also a new Jumpin' Jacks--we've been to one where we live--basically a big warehouse with lots of those huge air-blown jumping castles, slides, etc. Usually around $6/8 per person--but it's indoors & out of the sun. I also saw that there is a laser-tag/miniature golf place.

The Rosenbruch Wildlife Museum & the St. George Art Museum were the two that I was referring to in my above post. We didn't make it to these, but had wanted to.

And check out www.tuachan.org to see what shows will be on while you're out here.

Okay...happy planning! We had such a fun time when we went--now after looking at the websites, I think we need to go again! :-)