Menu

Using the Holling books for geography

We have the Beautiful Foot Guide, but it really just points out the obvious. You read about a sawmill in the book and the guide tells you to read about sawmills and have the child draw one or write about why they are important (I don't have the guide in front of me)---that type of thing. Once you start reading it will all fall into place. These books link in a more obvious way to things that can be studied than some other books.

We are getting ready to start Paddle To the Sea for a few weeks.

Amazing activity guide....this is from Ohio State University and it's 20 years old, but it's amazing. Packed full of activities for all age groups. I printed it out and put it in a binder. We're going to be doing quite a few of them. PTTS Activity Guide

Activity/Vocab sheets

Activiy/Vocab answers

Google Lit Trips - I haven't fully looked at this one yet, but this looks really cool. To get to PTTS, click on K-5 at the top, and then scroll down. They may have other Holling books on there, I don't know.

We are using the books with the BF guide and maps. The kids really enjoy them. They are memorizing states and capitals as we mark them on the map. They are naturally fascinated with geography so the we studied the climates of these areas as well. You could just as easily use any map. The kids like the unmarked ones from Sonlight.

Thanks for that great resource. I have a Mac and use Safari but am still having problems openig the LitTrips. I will keep trying as the screen shots for Abuela really excited me. Thanks again!

Alicia in New Zealand