Menu

Apologia General Science Question

I have the Apologia General Science for my up and coming 7th grader. I started looking at it this week. We don't usually do science everyday. Could this be stretched out and used over 2 years for 7th and 8th grade? I realize I need to get her ready for high school work, but she still has a couple years before high school. I don't want to overwhelm her and have her lose interest before we hit high school.

Any thoughts?

Patty

You could definitely spread it out over 2 years and do Physical Science for 9th grade, but, I think once you get into it you'll find that she can get it done in about a year. It's really not that overwhelming as far as information is concerned, but, I found that the structure was a little more than my dc were used to at first. It should be fine. Have you looked at Donna Young for schedules?

Yes, giving her two years would be just fine. I think (for us) Apologia was a big jump. I wish I would have given dd two years. She needed at least a year and a half, and so did her friends. She is finishing Physical this month (9th) and it went much smoother. Plan for two years and if she gets through it faster then you have extra time for Physical.;)

My 8th grader is almost finished General Science - it has taken her almost 18 months, but mostly because we were a little inconsistent with it last year. My current 7th grader will finish it in a year. We do science every day but we schedule it by reading to an On Your Own section each day followed by answering the questions. If an experiment is contained within that reading, then it is done that day also. We divide the study guide over 2 days, then have a day for the test. I find this quite a reasonable way of getting through the book and it's not too crazy. Each module then takes 2-3 weeks.

I printed out the schedule from Donna Young.org. I'm off to look at the book and figure out how to break it up. She's not heading towards a "Science" career. So, I don't think I need to push her to complete it in a year. If she does, that's great. Thanks again for all the advice!

Patty