Menu

French I for a 7th Grader

Guest evalynn68

Guest evalynn68

Hello all -

My dd, age 12 in the fall, would like to start studying FRENCH. Prior to this she independently studied Latin for 2 years using Latin for Children.

This summer she will be going to Concordia Language Villages for French Immersion Camp. (her choice)

I need to follow this up and have a plan in place for a self directed curriculum (preferrably DVD / computer oriented) for her to use for French I (and what I will assume will turn into II and III).

She doesn't like Rosetta Stone. I would like something that is a combination of DVD and workbook/tests or quizzes so I can see her progression.

I speak NO FRENCH so this will have to be very well explained for her.

Oh - and we are Jewish - so a secular curriclum is preferred !

Any suggestions !

Eva

With the foundation she receives at Concordia, I suspect that she would not have any problem jumping into this program. You need to buy a text, workbook, audio CDs, and a student guide. Videos which accompany the program are available for viewing on the Internet through the Annenberg Foundation. My son and I are working through this curriculum together without any prior French knowledge on my part, although both of us have a background in Latin (decades ago in my case; my son is currently working in the Oxford Latin III text.)

I hired a tutor last year to work on conversation, but this year we are focusing on reading comprehension, grammar and listening skills in French. I just keep my fingers crossed that one of these days my son will stumble across the opportunity to practice his French!

Take a peak into the program via the videos:

http://www.learner.org/resources/series83.html

Good luck,

Jane

My 11 dd, who just returned last night from a week in Italy, just loves languages and had a very nice year with Apex Learning's French Essentials online course (semester one and two). This had followed her work in Latin since first grade, and Turkish (ongoing).

I like Apex Learning because it is modern, up-to-date (tells you how to say MP3's and such!) and totally self-directed. The student takes the lessons day by day, which are very short, then moves on to unit tests (written ones). There is audio files so you hear everything, and you have a teacher assigned to you, but we rarely needed any extra help. Well laid out and fun!

http://www.apexlearning.com/Catalog/catalog_essentials.htm

She's not really going to be at French I after an immersion program at Concordia. However, immersion often doesn't give much grammar background--it depends on what her goals are. Reading literature? She's going to need grammar. Speaking and living in another country? Conversation practice. French in Action is just a great program, but it is a significant amount of work. Altho designed as a one year college program, it has taken my dd, who began it at 13 after years of French at home with me, over a year to get through the first 17 lessons. She likes it very much, and her French is very good, but don't expect to cover it rapidly.

Another idea to assess and place her: the American Association of Teachers of French has old National French Exams available. Perhaps you could pick an approximate level and order a test from them--they include listening, grammar, etc. If she passes with flying colors, you'd know what level to start at.

In my own case, the first class I ever had in French was an immersion class. When I tried to transition to a "regular" French class (switched schools) it was really difficult to pick up the grammar. I knew what was being said, but not the precise "right" answer. Not that immersion is the best method, but academic French (read AP tests and college classes) require a pretty good grasp of paper and pencil grammar. Immersion is a priceless experience, but not the totality of learning a language.

I hope your daughter has a wonderful time. Don't we all wish we could go, too ; )

Danielle

My dd went to Concordia last year. She did the voyageurs French 2 week program. If she is doing the two week immersion program her actual French learning my vary. They did not police conversations between kids. The kids have the option of doing super francais for a day, where they only speak French, but that is an option. The councellors only speak French with some exceptions for safety or if a kid sort of melts down emotionally. I do think it is a good program and my dd enjoyed and benefited from it. Still you'd want to start with French I.

The 4 week high school credit class might be different. That program has more structured class time. But still since you are talking about a middle schooler who is doing French with out a French teacher I wouldn't rush.

My kids now in 8th and 10th grade use French in Action with a French tutor. It is not the most obvious program out there. You can stream the videos for free at http://www.learner.org.

A more convetional high school text is available from Holt. For middle school the convention is to use two years to cover one year of high school French .

You can buy the textbook, teachers book (look on amazon for good buys even on new editions) and the online version of the book. The online version has videos and allows you to play audio clips.

edited to add my 8th grade dd prefers the video and kid in the Holt book--directed more at here age and grammar more explicitedly explained.

My daughter (current 8th grader) is going to try the MML (Middlebury Monterrey Program that is just starting up this year. It is available for middle and high schools. Everyone goes at the same time-for one month. There will be other languages there during the same program. Chinese, Spanish, and Arabic. (levels 1-4) They said if you didn't sign up early, then you might get placed in an alternate language!:cool: They just updated the website to say that they were opening up more dorms so registration must be booming. I read they got a 100K grant to offer scholarships and set up the library. (not bad for just starting) Her other French camp was just a lot of fun, but really the French was only a couple of hours per day. They lived in teepees, last summer it was in the 40's in August so they got to cold. California sounded good, except there is more structure, plus they have a language pledge. I'll report back after camp!