Menu

A new search engine (for SpyCar)

My husband is a complete computer nerd and LOVES Wolfram. He's telling me tidbits all the time. The other day, he informed me how old I was. I was less than thrilled, but he wasn't trying to be horrid... just giggly about a new thing Wolfram had told him.

• 7 months later...

Thanks, Asta!

DS19 noticed MomsintheGarden and DD17 struggling with some calculus solutions. He said he often pulls up the Wolfram|Alpha site when a fellow student asks him a question like "What did I do wrong?"

Here's an example of using this site taking an equation from DD17's calculus:

1) Open the Wolfram|Alpha site.

2) Enter the following text into the box at the top of the page:

(1+(1/(x^(2/3))))^(1/2)

3) Click the equals sign (=) to the right of the equation you just entered. This will show the equation in a form like it was originally found in the textbook as well as several interesting characteristics of the equation, including the indefinite integral for the equation.

4) The real problem in the textbook was to solve the definite integral for this equation. To do this, enter this into the box at the top instead:

Integrate[(1+(1/(x^(2/3))))^(1/2),{x,1,8}]

This returns the same result as that found in the solutions manual.

If nothing else, you can use this website to check your solutions manual in case you suspect there is a mistake.

Enjoy!