Menu

BJU grade 7 Life Science question

We used BJU Life Science 3rd edition last year and would definitely use it again. It has a lot of information, but is very well done. It is a heavier course than I expected for junior high.

If you are purchasing the student worktext new, the student activities should be in the back. If they have previously been used, I would recommend purchasing it separately. The activities really do help cement the material in the chapter.

I just recently purchased BJU's Life Science to use with my older son. For the past couple of weeks I have been reading through the first volume to familiarize myself with the text. I am very impressed with it! The program is thorough, creative, challenging, interesting, and attractive. Both my son and I are excited about using it.

Like Cynthia said above, the student activities manual is just a repeat of what is already contained in the back of the student texts. I will need to purchase one of these when I use the Life Science program with my second son, but I do not need it now (during the first go-around).

If you are not using the DVD program, I highly recommend purchasing the TE to use with the course. It is FULL of useful information, schedules, and helpful hints. It also comes with a CD to use to print out extra visuals, quizzes, etc.

We also ordered lab supplies and equipment to help with the activities and experiments from Home Science Tools.

HTH!

Jetta

Yes, absolutely, I think you do need the activity book and all the other bells and whistles. It is a tough program. I have spoken with private school teachers where BJU is taught. Not a one said they ever finished the text. All said it should be considered high school level material.

A couple months ago I was fortunate enough to attend a seminar on teaching science through high school. The speaker said not to use BJU Life Science 7. She recommended instead to use BJU Biology and teach it over 2 years (7th and 8th). She said if someone really wanted to use Life Science 7, then plan on doing it in a year and a half. She recommended starting it the summer prior to 7th and going into the summer post 7th (between 7th and 8th). It is a lot of material to absorb in a traditional school year.

HTH!!

Yes, absolutely, I think you do need the activity book and all the other bells and whistles. It is a tough program. I have spoken with private school teachers where BJU is taught. Not a one said they ever finished the text. All said it should be considered high school level material.

A couple months ago I was fortunate enough to attend a seminar on teaching science through high school. The speaker said not to use BJU Life Science 7. She recommended instead to use BJU Biology and teach it over 2 years (7th and 8th). She said if someone really wanted to use Life Science 7, then plan on doing it in a year and a half. She recommended starting it the summer prior to 7th and going into the summer post 7th (between 7th and 8th). It is a lot of material to absorb in a traditional school year.

HTH!!

FYI, from an email response I received from BJU, the high school Biology course is MUCH deeper than the Life Science.