Menu

American History in 6 weeks

Yes I know... criminally short... but yanno... not our country n all that.

So we are coming to the US of A in about 10 weeks time.

Before we come I want to spend some time on the history of the US up until about 1900.

So what would you consider the significant points/times/events to cover?

What reading would you recommend for my children? (their ages are in my sig)

At this stage I plan to look at the Thanksgiving story. I have a book to use and I have found a webquest which looks at it from both the Indian and settler point of views.

I also plan to do a unit on Slavery using the HOAC lapbook as the guide as to what to study but meating it out a bit.

Obviously there is the Revolution and Civil War in there.

Given that this is not our country I don't want to give my children books that will bore them silly in the name of learning... I'd much rather them enjoy the reading.

So far I have (feel free to critique, and suggest appropriate ages for reading them. I've put who I planned to read them beside.. I got them all 2nd hand):

Streams to the River, River to the Sea, Scott O'Dell (for J aged 15)

Bound for Oregon, Jean Van Leeuwen (For C aged 9)

By the Great Horn Spoon, Sid Flischman (um, yes LOL)

The Red Badge of Courage, Steven Crane (J aged 15)

Mr Revere and I, Robert Lawson (J aged 15)

Riding the Pony Express, Clyde Robert Bulla (C aged 9)

Whats the Big Idea Ben Franklin? Jean Fritz (C aged 9)

The Thanksgiving Story, Alice Dalgliesh (read aloud, can't say I'm that impressed with it)

Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn (both books) by Mark Twain. (We have already read Tom Sawyer)

I also plan to purchase Amos Fortune, Free Man, and I have The Matchlock Gun on my list.

I was also looking at the For Kids series: Civil War, Revolution and Lewis and Clarke. But really I'm clueless and our libraries have very little so I'm flying blind here. But I probably need some non-fiction type books to go alongside the fiction.

So, help a poor kwassie girl out. 6 weeks to learn about the USA. I'd really love your input!

Edited by keptwoman

What part of the country will you be visiting?

A couple historical novels-

Civil War- Across Five Aprils

Revolutionary war- there's a book I really enjoyed, but I'm having trouble remembering the whole title. It's "Brother _____ is Dead" (I can't remember the name of the brother.) It does a really good job of showing both sides of the issues.

We are visiting New York, Connecticut, New Hampshire, Pennsylvania and Disneyland (what? That's a state isn't it LOL)

Lots of revolutionary war stuff in those states! (Well, maybe not Disney...)

I think the book is My Brother Sam is Dead. Takes place in western Connecticut and New York state.

What part of the country will you be visiting?

A couple historical novels-

Civil War- Across Five Aprils

Revolutionary war- there's a book I really enjoyed, but I'm having trouble remembering the whole title. It's "Brother _____ is Dead" (I can't remember the name of the brother.) It does a really good job of showing both sides of the issues.

I thought of more- Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry, The Sign of the Beaver, Carry On, Mr. Bowditch, The Day it Rained Forever. Check them out on Amazin for reviews, etc. to see if your kids might like them.

LOL I've got a massive list of books. I looked at the Sonlight list which has most of those you mentioned, so I'm guessing they are good. But I'm kind of hoping to narrow rather than expand it.. .kwim? For instance I got Johnny Tremain for C but he isn't enjoying it :(

Oh also... I know the boys might get through 4 or 5 books in that time, but I plan to buy some audiobooks to listen to in the rental car which will enable us to cover a bit more. So suggestions for that would be good too, perhaps the same books, but versions that are good to listen to, the difference between good and bad narration for audiobooks is quite something isn't it.

Well, I don't know if you would view Florida as Spanish history or US history, but we have some great stories here too. We have the oldest national monument in the United States (El Castillo de San Marcos in St. Augustine) We have also the first settlement in the United States. Oldest school house etc. Juan Ponce de Leon who was the governor of Puerto Rico at the time heard of a land to the west that had a fountain that if a person drank the waters of it they would live forever. He believed the legend so much that he organized a expedition to go and find it. When he arrived in St. Augustine and he saw the Timucuan Indians who were living there he was so impressed with their vitality and youthfulness that he was certain that the Fountain of Youth must indeed be there. He asked the Indians where it was and they showed him a spring that was their water source. He drank from the water believing it was the Fountain of Youth. He laid a cross there with 15 stones lengthwise and 13 stones crosswise to symbolize the year. 1513. It is still there today. As an interesting aside, Ponce de Leon did not live forever, but he did wind up living well beyond the life expectancy of his day and he died in a battle from a wound. ;) :D There is also British history involved with Florida as the St. Augustine settlement was a victim of Sir Francis Drake's cruelty. He apparently came there looking for gold and came with a huge number of warships ready for battle. It was just a small settlement with the one fort protecting it and when he came and found no gold. He burned the entire settlement, stole what he could and then put salt on the ground so that no crops would grow and left the people to starve. Not very nice of him.

Here is a picture of the castle from when we were there a few years ago.

9f18.jpg

This is a cool link to see it in more detail in panorama

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/6f/Castillo_de_San_Marcos_Fort_Panorama_3.jpg

Edited by Ibbygirl

We are visiting New York, Connecticut, New Hampshire, Pennsylvania and Disneyland (what? That's a state isn't it LOL)

Disneyland (California) or Disneyworld (Florida)? St. Augustine is just a couple of hours northeast of Disneyworld. :) Lots and lots of history, plus it's on the water and it's just a beautiful city. :)

Disneyland :)

But I'm not actually specifically worried about covering where we are going, more an overview of US history as a whole.

Ah I see. :) Well one more Florida fact then. hehe, The Miccosukee tribe is the only tribe that has never signed a treaty with the US government. They are called "The Unconquered" for that reason. :)

Guest Virginia Dawn

Some classic American tales you might want to look into:

Revolution- Johnny Tremain by Ester Forbes for the 15yo. Mr. Revere and I would probably be more appropriate for the 9yo.

Underground railroad/Civil War era- Freedom Train by Dorothy Sterling. The story of Harriet Tubman

Abe Lincoln: Log Cabin to White House by Sterling North

Farmer Boy by Laura Ingalls Wilder

Jean Fritz's books are great historical fiction and biographies- She's got one about Pocahontas.

Other Mark Twain book for 15yo- Life on the Mississippi

Robert Lawson also has Ben and Me and The Great Wheel

Don't forget an American school child's classic "The Midnight Ride of Paul Revere" by Longfellow

LOL I've got a massive list of books. I looked at the Sonlight list which has most of those you mentioned, so I'm guessing they are good. But I'm kind of hoping to narrow rather than expand it.. .kwim? For instance I got Johnny Tremain for C but he isn't enjoying it :(

Oh also... I know the boys might get through 4 or 5 books in that time, but I plan to buy some audiobooks to listen to in the rental car which will enable us to cover a bit more. So suggestions for that would be good too, perhaps the same books, but versions that are good to listen to, the difference between good and bad narration for audiobooks is quite something isn't it.

Got it. I didn't like Johny Tremain at that age either.

I really enjoyed all the books I listed. For boys, I would especially recommend Sign of the Beaver, Brother Sam (we listend to this on tape.)

The Day it Rained Forever would be a good read-aloud for your daughter.

Some classic American tales you might want to look into:

Revolution- Johnny Tremain by Ester Forbes for the 15yo. Mr. Revere and I would probably be more appropriate for the 9yo.

Ahhh I had them the wrong way around. Thanks! Thanks also for your other suggestions.

Got it. I didn't like Johny Tremain at that age either.

I really enjoyed all the books I listed. For boys, I would especially recommend Sign of the Beaver, Brother Sam (we listend to this on tape.)

The Day it Rained Forever would be a good read-aloud for your daughter.

Thanks Pam. I'll look up those.... and also Carry On Mr Bowditch as I have that noted also. I'll tell C he doesn't need to read Johnny Tremain; I think he will be happy.:tongue_smilie:

As a reference spine, I recommend the Children's Encyclopedia of American History (DK and the Smithsonian). It's broad and skips a lot of details, but it will give you a good idea of the major movements and a time line. Do read about Manifest Destiny. That policy explains/justifies the drive to spread west to the Pacific.

For a change of pace, there are may excellent DVD's documentaries available. I have several that would be worth trying to get in the format Australia uses. You might even consider getting a multi-format DVD for these. Number one is The Civil War by Ken Burns. It does a brief lead up to the war and tells large chunks of it through actual letter's, diaries and photographs. The Lewis and Clark movie by National Geographic is good. There are also a couple of films that help explain the French and Indian War (The War that Made America) and the PBS show, The Revolution. The French and Indian War really did set the stage for the Revolution.

BTW, the recording I heard of Sign of the Beaver was good. I think there's only 1 recording of it.

Thank you Kathy :)

So the French/Indian War is different to the Revolution?

I'm home again. So brief history lesson:

During the war and immediately afterwards, the colonists were loyal British subjects and George Washington was angling HARD for a British military commission to replace his colonial commission. G. Washington was a bit of a social climber at the time.

Not long after the ending of the war, George III banned settlements west of the Appalacians AND slapped taxes on the colonists without going through the colonial governments to help pay off war debts. Colonists maintained that as British subjects, they were give the right tax themselves ad that meant the colonial legislatures had to approve the taxes, not the legislature (Parliment) sitting in London.

As you can see, taxes are always a sore point in the US, even when we elect the people voting on the taxes. :lol:

LOL I think taxes are a sore point everywhere.

OK, so this is what I plan to cover:

Thanksgiving

Revolution

Civil War

Slavery

Exploration into the West.

Have I missed anything major?

Speaking of the Appallacians, I'm reading Bill Bryson's A Walk in the Woods, about him hiking the Appallacian Trail, I love his books they are so funny and informative.