Menu

New and need advice...PLEASE!!

I think I may have posted this in the wrong area previously, so here I go again. I am debating using MFW (Adventures), WP(American Story), HOD(Beyond or Bigger), and TOG. My dd7 is an avid reader!! Even when we go outside she likes to take a book to read while swinging on her swing. Her comprehension is probably 4th grade. She loves to do hands on activities as well, but I want to make sure I'm working on her comprehension and narrating skills. My concern with looking over these is that I am not good at coming up with my own open ended questions and would like for the curriculum I choose to help me out. I already have Saxon Math and Easy Grammar that she enjoys, so no need to have those incorporated in, but if they are it is no big deal. My dh and I have agreed that we would like to teach American History before World History and that we do not want Bible to be forced into every subject, we do want a Christian view, just don't make my dd hate Christ if she starts to hate school (not sure that makes sense, but I need to give you as much as I can so I can get some of your awesome advice I've seen handed out here on this forum). Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me!!!!

Anxiously waiting to hear from you!!!!

P.S. I am going to a used curriculum sale today and would really like some advice before I go. Thanks!:)

I bought MFW Adventures to use this year with my dd who will be 9yo (3rd) this coming fall. I have looked over it pretty extensively and taking from points in your post, here's what I think you'll like about it

a)your dd is a reader...MFW has a wonderful list in the back of the book, divided by weeks, for Book Basket time. This means you fill up a basket with books that correspond to the history/art/science/music and let her have at them for extra reading.

b) Adventures has plenty of hands on activities to correspond with what you are learning about. Some that I've seen or read about, making a red, white, and blue snack, making johnny cakes, a ship like Columbus sailed, a wigwam, etc. My dd loves hands on and I'm pleased with how easy they seem (and easy to adapt if need be). The science part of Adventures is pretty hands on as well.

c)narrating skills can be worked on with the notebooking pages that are included in the TM.

d)the read alouds scheduled for the year just seem so nice. Your dd might be able to read a few of these on her own if you are pressed for time.

Maybe reasons for not liking MFW

a) the Bible studied in Adventures is all about the names of Christ (Bread of Life, Light of the World, etc). It is a theme that is carried over into the rest of the curriculum. I think that some of the science experiments tie in to some of the names of Christ. From what I've read, I wouldn't say they are "forcing" Christ into everything. It just sort of flows. But I thought I'd mention it.

b)there are no scripted questions for you to talk about with your dd. MFW leaves that up to you. However, if she's narrating to you, I don't see a huge deal with this, especially since she is young.

And here is my not so humble opinion ;) TOG is a great curriculum. I have not used it but have friends who are using it. I personally would not use TOG until I had older children. But that's just me.

I am loving what I am seeing in MFW and anxious to get started. I think this might be the most excited I've been about a curriculum. :D Good luck choosing! I know that lots of people are happy with HOD and WP too.

And here is my not so humble opinion ;) TOG is a great curriculum. I have not used it but have friends who are using it. I personally would not use TOG until I had older children. But that's just me.

I agree entirely with this statement. TOG just seems to be a little much for 7/8 years old. I would definitely go with any of the others.

I think when choosing curriculum, it is helpful to write down your goals and priorities and you can start weeding out choices from there.

Then take into consideration learning styles and styles of curriculum. Are you more classical, Charlotte Mason or do you really like unit studies?

Looking at the TM's give you a great idea as well if you like the layout of the manuals.

Here's my two cents worth -

We love MFW because we want our children to understand that God is everywhere and in everything so MFW helps us fulfill that goal.

We lean toward classical education but we don't want our kids exposed to harsher realities at too young of an age so MFW fulfills that for us.

We want to learn as a family so we love that fact that all the kids are in the same history cycle and MFW provides that for us. (TOG does this as well)

I like to know what's coming and have a plan for that (and I don't like to switch scope and sequences too often ) so a curriculum that goes through high school is a bonus. I think TOG and MFW fulfill that.

So after writing down my goals and going through the curriculum's I can see that MFW is what fulfills the majority of our goals. No curriculum is perfect for everybody but we have loved MFW and have used it since K for all of ours (now going into 7th, 3rd and 3rd) and have been so very pleased at how much they have learned, their foundation in Christ, and they test well too;)!

You are probably already off shopping:D However, given your description of your dc and your goals have you considered Sonlight?

My dd7 is an avid reader!! Even when we go outside she likes to take a book to read while swinging on her swing. Her comprehension is probably 4th grade. She loves to do hands on activities as well, but I want to make sure I'm working on her comprehension and narrating skills. My concern with looking over these is that I am not good at coming up with my own open ended questions and would like for the curriculum I choose to help me out.

SL gives you lots of great literature and reading guides that provide comprehension questions and answers. I do the questions orally and we discuss the book. Comprehension and narration covered.

we do not want Bible to be forced into every subject, we do want a Christian view, just don't make my dd hate Christ if she starts to hate school

SL is a Christian curriculum that would meet this objective for you. We have a more secular viewpoint, but I have seldom had any problems with the way the material is presented. Sorry to give you yet another thing to consider.

You all are soo great!!! I went to the sale and found Sonlight 3 for a great price which I am going to use with MFW Adventures that a dear friend of mine GAVE me yesterday! Most of the books used in SL3 are used in the book basket for MFW which will allow me the scripted questions I was looking for, but still having my hands on stuff scheduled in MFW. God has been so good to me and you all helped me to not be so strict on myself. My dh has been informed that he will be without a job as of June 30, so this decision was really hard for fear of messing up with what little money we will have to work with. Sorry for rambling!! Thanks for the advice!!!:001_smile:

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a new homeschooler starting officially this fall, with my 7 year old DS (and more informally with my 4 year old DS)...just chose MFW Adventures at the recent Illinois homeschooling convention...wondered if there is a place/thread here for those of us using this curriculum or if it is found at the MFW site? Would love to stay connected with others of you who are using MFW Adventures this coming year. Thanks!--Helen

I love TOG, but for a new hser I might really be over the top. With TOG you have to pick and choose what to do, and most new people don't have a baseline of what would be too much, so they are tempted to try to do all of TOG, and are either totally overwhelmed or burn out.

My recommendation would be to use WP AS 1 for now (though I haven't used HOD or MFW) and in a few years once you have a feel for what is enough and once your child is older, then go ahead and move to TOG if you still feel the need.

Right now they really don't need more than the narration that WP does.

Heather