Menu

another Latin "Where to go from here" question

nutmeg

dd11 is finishing up Latina Christiana 2, and we are looking for something, well, different for next year. She did PL, LC1, and LC2 willingly, but wants to try something new. Her memory is near photographic and recall is great. She doesn't need a whole lot of chanting, drill, etc. What she would like is more stories to translate. Phrases and single sentences are boring! ;)

She's doing 6th grade next year. I'd like to keep her going in Latin for a couple more years before adding another language in high school.

Any suggestions for a middle-school level text with lots of stories to read/translate? DVD instruction is not a must.

Thank you :)

If I'm not mistaken PL, LC I, & LCII are ecclesiastical pronunciation. Is that right? Just thought I'd let you know, that all the programs mentioned (Cambridge, Lingua Latina, & Latin Prep) are classical pronunciation. From the many latin threads I've read, it seems folks go on to Henle (ecclesiastical) and just move their middle schoolers more slowly.

My dd has done LFC-A this year, but we have now moved on to Latin Prep I and it has been a breath of fresh air for us. Lots of translation practice back and forth between Latin & English. Plus it's designed for grades 6, 7, 8. If you don't mind classical, then you might check it out.

HTH,

Jennifer

If I'm not mistaken PL, LC I, & LCII are ecclesiastical pronunciation. Is that right? Just thought I'd let you know, that all the programs mentioned (Cambridge, Lingua Latina, & Latin Prep) are classical pronunciation. From the many latin threads I've read, it seems folks go on to Henle (ecclesiastical) and just move their middle schoolers more slowly.

My dd has done LFC-A this year, but we have now moved on to Latin Prep I and it has been a breath of fresh air for us. Lots of translation practice back and forth between Latin & English. Plus it's designed for grades 6, 7, 8. If you don't mind classical, then you might check it out.

HTH,

Jennifer

Moving from Ecclesiastical pronunciation to Classical pronunciation isn't that big of a deal. (Ecclesiastical is important to know if you are using Latin in a church setting. Classical pronunciation is important to know if you plan to continue studies at the university level, as it is the pronunciation used at the vast majority of higher learning institutions. So, both are good to know.)

For the original poster, if you're looking for lots of reading and translation:

Cambridge Latin Course (reading-based)

Ecce Romani (reading-based)

Lingua Latina Per Se Illustrata (direct method)

These will definitely be different from LC1/2. If she's learned the grammar in that course, she'll have a good foundation. Yes, the grammar is presented somewhat differently in CLC and ER, however, there's definitely a plan to how it is presented. The intention of these courses is to teach reading fluency with grammar in context. CLC is based around the story of Pompeii before the eruption of Mt. Vesuvius, and has a lot of culture woven into the story. Ecce Romani is about a patrician family living in Rome at about the same time. CLC has a better storyline. ER has very good grammar explanations. Lingua Latina is a highly popular immersion course.

Thank you so much for the help! I will definitely looking at Cambridge and Lingua Latina at our upcoming curricula sale. I'll check out Galore Park's products too. I have a used copy of Henle 1 and 2, but just looking at the books I'm not sure how to move forward with it! The text is so small, and the books just don't inspire me to dive in, IYKWIM.

Thanks again!