Menu

Self teaching Greek/Latin

Today I asked my oldest what language he wanted to learn and he replies Latin and Greek so he can read the inscriptions on artifacts!

Latin, we like the Minimus books for their fun, light approach. He reads them for fun and tries to figure out what they are saying. I don't have a TM for either level. But we need a systematic approach.

Anything like that for Greek?

I would prefer secular and DVDs as I haven't any clue with these languages.

• 4 weeks later...

I've been interested in Latin, but would really love to have either/both of DVDs and/or a program that is easy to use. I don't think I will get to it if there has to be much teacher prep/learning. Something that's fun and easy to do together would be great. If not, DVDs would help a lot.

In trying to get Latin off the ground, I haven't even been able to contemplate Greek, but that sounds great too.

Yep, I am noticing the dirth of lower age Classical Greek materials. My son is a young 13yr old. I have looked into Hey Andrew. I will check out the Code Cracker book.

Thanks again.

Song School Greek through Classical Academic Press. We have not used this but used Song School Latin and it was a great, fun way to get started with Latin. We have now finished Latin for Children A and my daughter still remembers songs from Song School.

Amy