Menu

Rod and Staff spelling workbook question??

dkholland

Do I really need the TM for this spelling program?? Did you like R&S spelling and did it work for your child?

I have been using Spelling Workout workbooks for my older ds. I got a copy of the R&S student book used and thought I would use it for my younger ds...just wondered how the program works. I see it is not set up as Spelling workout is...

Thanks for any advice!

We are using it this year and will be using it again next year. It has worked well for my horrible speller. It is teaching him spelling rules he can apply to other subjects so I like that about it. We have the TM but it isn't necessary. It only has the answers and the spelling list in a different order with sentences for the test. My only complaint is that after 5th grade it is a hard cover textbook. It looks like a wonderful program but I'm not sure that I want to devote that much time to spelling and this ds is a slow worker. We may actually switch to SWO after next year for 6th grade.

We are using R&S Spelling 2 this year and I think it has helped my daughter quite a bit. She is not a natural speller, but has learned a great deal this year. I have the teacher's manual, but I haven't opened it in months. The student book works just fine on its own.

Jeannie

We switched from SWO to R&S about a year ago. I much prefer R&S! I thought a lot of the SWO activities were designed to keep classroom kids busy and they did not always help with the goal of actually learning to spell. The activities to unscramble letters to form a list word were particularly annoying to me and my non-puzzle-loving dd. I love R&S. The activities are actually teaching her useful things about the English language. We do have the TM--the workbook/TM set is cheaper than a SWO workbook, so I just went ahead and got the set. We use it one day a week to administer the spelling test. You could easily make up your own test sentences and do without it.