Menu

How does Strayer-Upton math compare to Singapore?

I have been using Strayer-Upton Practical Arithmetic to supplement MUS. We have gaps from years of switching around and I made some mistakes with initial placement. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has used both and if so, how the mental math components compare?

I am always hearing about the benefits of SM's mental work. Practical Arthmetic has lots and lots of mental math and mult-step word problems. I was wondering how they compare.

I just would like to know if SM is such a huge jump above and beyond that it would warrant a closer look.

• 3 weeks later...

Hmmmm, not sure how helpful this will be because I haven't actually used S-U yet. But, we did use SM to supplement our Rightstart last year. And this year, I am switching to S-U (I just ordered it a few days ago).

We got a lot of mental math in RS, done mostly with manipulatives, not workbooks. I like that SM mental math is done in a workbook format because I love learning math concepts with different venues. I think it just cements the learning. Anyhow, that part of SM was great and my kids liked the change of having workbooks. However, I got tired of trying to figure out which books I needed. There are textbooks and workbooks and Challenging Word Problem books and Intensive Practice books. I would buy all four and then have to decide if I wanted Standards or US editions. Oh, and then the answer keys and Home Instructor Guides are separate as well. I do like the Challenging Word Problems (and the answers are in the back) but the answers are not worked so there were times when we could not figure out an answer and we would be stuck until DH got home to explain it:tongue_smilie:. Ack. So, really, my issue was not with the actual math but with the format of how the books are set up. That, obviously, is not an issue for everybody. But when I saw that S-U made use of mental math, had word problems, focused on foundational math computations and had everything in one book, I decided to switch.

But, like I said, we haven't actually implemented it yet so I will get back to you on that. However, for the reasons stated above, I feel the switch will be a good one for our purposes and I'm really interested in using the math that laid the foundation for a generation of excellent problem-solvers! HTH even just a little!

We have been using S-U with MUS the past week or so and I am really liking it. We can skip quite a bit, like multiplication drills, but we are doing all the word problems.

I REALLY like how gentle this program is. It really sets kids up for success without dumbing it down. I wish I had learned this way. I like how it complements the "why" that MUS puts forth.

I have used 3 levels of Singapore, and am using SU with 2 kids right now. I would not say Singapore is better. I think both do a good job, and both require the teacher to explain concepts. I am actually planning to drop all Singapore because I am frustrated with the way it jumps around and I often have to skip sections that my child is not ready for. We have used Math on the Level this year, which I plan to continue with as my guide and to keep me on track, but I am loving Strayer Upton for its simple, straightforward no frills approach. I can sit down with my child and spend 15 minutes covering math, and know we really covered math. I too have jumped around a lot with math curriculum, which is why I am using SU through the summer, I think it will cover everything simply and easily with little effort on my part.

I thought I knew of every math program... and yet there are still ones I have never heard about!

I am no help to this actual thread... just thought I would point that out.:D

I am a tried and true singapore-ean with many silly supplements, to mix it up, key to... and math lit. As my kids are reaching the top end of Singapore though, I have to start paying attention again! :tongue_smilie:

Korin