Menu

Having a hard time with this new format

Chris, just take some time and play around with it. It's not hard once you get the hang of it. From what I'm reading, a lot of people are having a time adjusting. Don't give up.

The other boards I've frequented over the years are in this format. You'll get used to it very quickly. Also read through some of the older threads (you can go back by pages at the very bottom of the main screen). There are a lot of tips and hints on how people are adjusting.

I'm very familiar with this format since it's what's used by the only other boards I frequent and to be honest, I have never "adjusted". One reason I enjoyed the previous WTM boards was because of their utter simplicity. A five minute glance, and I got the gist of what had been discussed that day. You will become more familiar with this format the more time you invest getting to know it, but whether you like it or not may be another story!:o

I'm just trying to stay as positive as I can and go little by little with the learning process (the very 1st day I thought I would crack like an egg and ooze and cry all over the floor! I literally felt like the rug was pulled out from under me. I am not too great with change. Dh rescued me with Dove dark chocolate when he saw my forlorn and lost looking face!) The WTM boards are the only ones I go on, so this is a really new format for me as opposed to many others who have seen this format on other places they visit. That appears to be the general consensus-that it's a little easier if you're used to this format from other places. There are some posts in the "how to use these boards" section that are helping me figure this all out-you could try that. I learned some ways there to help me configure it to make me more comfortable (the thread display option makes it feel more like the old setup), and about private messaging, which is a nice way to keep in contact with some of your "close" friends from the board or ask them a quick question. But the Dove chocolate was the best help by far! It won't be long before we all learn the ins and outs and feel at home here like we did there.

I have used this kind of forum before, but don't really like it. It is much more time consuming, imo.

I have a love/hate relationship with technology anyway. I'm fascinated with all the things we can do with computers these days, but alas, it comes with a price.

I am thankful to have these forums, though, and will try my very hardest to get used to the new way.

I actually spent more time on the WTM boards because of the old format, but alas I still like phone calls instead of texting, maybe I'm doomed to be a dinosaur relic of the past

Texting? This Luddite rarely even uses a cell phone, my dear.:) (Come to think of it, I rarely even use a landline phone!)

How are you? I know things were very difficult for you last fall and do hope it has smoothed out. Life has been challenging here as far as the farm is concerned, but we're finally coming up for air now and then.

I've been using Websleuths on vBulletin for years. It takes a bit of getting used to this format, but after you've been at it for awhile, it will come naturally and you may even like it better.

I like the editing feature, so I can correct all my spelling mistakes. I also like being able to customize features at the User Control Panel (CP) -- see the top of the page on the far left. For instance, I have my account fixed so the latest messages from each thread are on top, so I don't have to scroll through anything I've already read.

As for a sense of community, that will come when everyone has been on here awhile and gotten used to the change. I know there is a strong sense of community of Websleuths ... and that having the PM feature (private messaging) helps that along quite a bit.

I have a cell phone, but I use it to make phone calls, and I don't know how to do text messaging either. Frankly, I don't need that feature, so my kids are the only ones who are appalled by that!

Just give it a little time, and you will get used to this. In the meanwhile, you can play around with the features to figure out how to use them and what they do -- don't worry, you won't break anything!

Take care,

RC (formerly SoSo)

Better thanks, what doesn't kill us makes us stronger, right??

I've actually gone back to school to get my credential to teach high school english. I won't begin to teach until my oldest is out of school, but it will take awhile taking only two courses a semester. My girls are thriving and we are getting used to not having contact with the family.

Thanks for asking, when I posted that I thought I was on the curriculum board, I usually don't come to the general board ,but with this new format I don't feel quite so intimidated, so that's a good thing :)

Sorry to hear about the farm, I hope everything gets on track soon