Menu

Side dish ideas for sandwiches

My kids and I like sandwiches for lunch. And when dad's home, we frequently have grilled burgers or hot dogs. I'm in a rut with side dishes for all those sandwich meals. We tend to have the same things over & over: chips, potato salad, and baked beans.

I'm looking for something healthier. For some reason, regular vegetables don't seem to go with hot dogs or tuna sandwiches, KWIM? (steamed zucchini, sauteed spinach, etc.)

What else can we try? My family isn't that thrilled with coleslaw or carrot-raisin salad.

How about:

broccoli salad

sliced cucumbers and tomatoes, drizzled with Italian dressing

fruit salad

maybe try different cole slaw recipes. I like crushed pineapple in mine.

raw carrots and celery with dip

You could make a salad of any kinds of raw veggies they like. You could let the kids pick one ingredient and try out a new combination of veggies and dressings, from regular bottled vinaigrettes to ranch dip.

Or, take the kids to the store or farmer's market and let them pick a veggie or fruit to try. There are peppers and tomatoes in all colors. I have orange tomatoes and purple peppers growing in my garden; I bet you could find some unusually colored or new and different veggies that they'd be willing to try.

How about raw veggies & hummus? We use peppers, carrots & broccoli. I also make a black bean salad that is an excellent side dish. It is tasty & health, too!

Black Bean Salad

1 can black beans, drained & rinsed

1 can shoepeg corn

1 pepper, diced (I like to use orange for color, but any will do.)

1 tomato, diced

1/4 -1/2 sweet yellow onion, diced

1 avacado, diced

juice of one lime

It's even better the next day. I serve with sandwiches or wraps or ON wraps. You can also change it up. My mom adds jalepenos & cilantro to hers and does not add tomato.

My husband prefers to eat his more like a dip with tostito chips & a little shredded cheese & sour cream.

Also, there was recently a thread about pasta salads. Maybe that could be an option? Or another type of salad? The broccoli slaw salad (with ramen noodles & an oriental dressing) is a good side. I usually make a double batch of the dressing b/c it will keep for quite a while in the fridge.

Looking forward to hearing other responses.

my family LOVES and requests my marinated "three bean" salad. I also throw in chopped bell pepper, frozen corn (just run under cold water) and purple onion and garlic. We've added carrots, too.

Carrots and ranch dip

hummmus and bell peppers

a vegetable tray with dip

fruit tray

salads (we get bored with just green salad over and over. Instead, we do lots of marinated veggies)

in the winter, roasted veggies

pasta salad w/veggies and dressing

How about:

broccoli salad

sliced cucumbers and tomatoes, drizzled with Italian dressing

This made me think about another idea. We always called it Summer Salad, but it is cucumbers, tomatoes & onions in a vinegar dressing. Yum!

How about a nice fruit salad, or your regular, plain old green salad with everything but the kitchen sink thrown in. Or, forgo the lettuce and just eat the veggies raw (mushrooms, red/yellow peppers, cauliflower, carrots, celery sticks, cucumber spears) with some dressing for dipping them in. Sliced tomatoes w/ a little salt and pepper, simple but yummy; especially when their from your own garden. You can always have your salad on your burger.

Then of course there's corn, on the cob if you prefer, but there's always from the can. How about steak fries instead of chips. If you prefer your vegetable cooked, you can always cut up some peppers, mushrooms, onions, zucchini, and yellow squash, drizzle a little olive oil over them, add season to taste and grill or cook in the oven/stop top. You can grill asparagus (I don't care for it, but I know others that do), peppers, mushrooms.

There are plenty more things that you could prepare, but this is about all I can think of right now. Besides, this is making me hungry.:)

HTH

My kids love fruit kabobs with sandwiches. I made some today with lunch - cantaloupe, strawberries, apples and grapes. If I have any on hand, I'll give them some yogurt to dip it in.

How about a corn and tomato salad? I heat up some oil in a skillet, then add the corn (fresh or frozen). Cook until warmed through then add halved cherry/grape tomatoes. Toss well, season with salt and pepper, and top with sliced green onions.

Cottage cheese topped with fruit or tomatoes is another favorite here.

Grilled fruit is good, too. Pineapple and peaches work best.

Or a veggie tray - olives, cherry tomatoes, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, cucumber slices, anything you like. Add a ranch dressing, hummus or guacamole for dipping.

Now I'm hungry, lol.