Menu

Has anyone here participated in the Special Olympics??

I would love to get my son involved in this. Can anyone give me tips or advice as to what I would need to know to get him involved?? He's 8 years old btw, with Autism. He LOVES to run and I think it would be such a great experience for him. Thank you to all who reply. :)

All 3 of my kids have in the past. It is a wonderful program. My son has done swimming, cycling, baseball, track and field, weight lifting, and down hill skiing. My girls have done gymnastics and swimming.

Right now they aren't as they just aren't interested. If they were, we would do it again. My girls just wish they had special olympics horseback riding in our area. Then they would certainly participate.

I would love to get my son involved in this. Can anyone give me tips or advice as to what I would need to know to get him involved?? He's 8 years old btw, with Autism. He LOVES to run and I think it would be such a great experience for him. Thank you to all who reply. :)

All 3 of my kids have in the past. It is a wonderful program. My son has done swimming, cycling, baseball, track and field, weight lifting, and down hill skiing. My girls have done gymnastics and swimming.

How did you go about getting them involved?? I've been to the website, but I cannot figure out what to do to get them signed up. :confused:

In Texas ( I assume it is the same other places) , Special Olympics is locally run - to sign up you have to get in touch with the local branch. Since it is run by volunteers it is sometimes hard to find the person in charge. Most states have a state website (google special olympics + "your state") and then you should be able to find an email or phone contact where you can find the name of your area director.

In Texas ( I assume it is the same other places) , Special Olympics is locally run - to sign up you have to get in touch with the local branch. Since it is run by volunteers it is sometimes hard to find the person in charge. Most states have a state website (google special olympics + "your state") and then you should be able to find an email or phone contact where you can find the name of your area director.

Thank you very much for your helpful reply. :)

participated for the first time in Special Olympics Soccer last fall and loved it. He had played a few years ago on a Upwards (church based-non competitive, supposedly) soccer team, but there were several competitive boys on the team and his participation was lacking. With SO soccer, he really took it on as his own and seemed much more interested than before. Like your son, mine loves to run and I had planned on signing up for Track and Field this spring, but it got away from me. Good luck!

We LOVE Special Olympics. I'm a coach for the first time this year. My husband and I always say that if we ever get rich, we're giving all of our money to Special Olympics and to the dog rescue organization that accepts and encourages our children to volunteer.

It did take awhile to track down the volunteer we needed to reach when I first became interested. I eventually just went with another parent to the sport my child was interested in at the time. Then I just introduced myself to the volunteer. My son practiced the first day and the volunteer had me complete forms and told me how to go about getting the medical form completed at our doctor's. Last year one of my daughters, in high school, had her first overnight -- the State Olympics, held at Towson University. It was so cool...I cried.

Sandy

Here is your state of FL link http://www.specialolympicsflorida.org/

Let me preface this by saying that we are fortunate to live our in the state capital (TN), so we have a lot of things here that are not available throughout the state. And yes, tracking down the local folks is kind of hard, but email your state reps because they usually work very closely with the local folks and can probably get you in contact with the right folks.

We began in fall and were only able to find the right folks because they had a Special Olympics "fair" at one of the city parks in August where ALL the local teams, coaches, voluneteer, etc...set up tables and talked to parents.

We began with swimming (swim team) because my son loves to swim, and though not proficient enough to swim with the actual team, they offer "pre-swim team" for a half hour before the team swims. Basically, it's just swim lessons in order to get them able to swim witn the "team." That is nice because it lasts all school year and is regular.

At swim practice, they passed out flyers for winter basketball that met on weekends once a week. We were fortunate enough to be able to go to the State finals (which were held here in the capital). This was a short 3 month committment but we REALLY loved this. We had probably one of the lowest divisions, but the coaches are fantastic (two parents) who were able to work all these kids together as a team by focusing on their abilities ~ it was really amazing! I think I cried at almost every game ~

Track and Field ~ we participated in that as well BUT, it is a little different that the other sports (in TN anyway). There is not a "team" you really sign up with and the teams that come are public school special ed classes. Again, some of our swim parents got together and formed an independent group and went to track and field together. But, again, there is not any practices....you just who up for the city meet, and if you're lucky, you get to go to the state meet (which we did last weekend by default, because the people ahead of him could not go). So, yes, he participated (he is 13 years old by the way) but it's kind of a one day thing and not something to do for months. Maybe some groups do, but not here.

We are very excited that nationally, they are starting flag football this fall!

Lessons learned this year ~ the best contacts you will have is other parents with special needs locally, and once you get hooked into Special Olympics, you will get the word about most of the other sports since those same parents seem to do several of them. Kind of a tight knit community in itself.

The best thing we have done for this child!

And I have to agree with Sandie ~ I would nearly give everything I have to Special Olympics because it has been such a valuable part of our lives as a family. My son with Down Syndrome loves it, my older "typical" son has enjoyed it so much he wants to volunteer and decided lat weekend at the "State Summer Olympics" that it would be his litmus test for a future date of wife ~ bring her to a Special Olympics event and hope she just enbraces it as much as he has. :) (he's 15 right now) ~ well, and taking her to his favorite Mexican food "cheap eat" !

Enjoy ~ Debbie in Nashville

Edited by debbiec

Guest agua bendita

Alaska -- Hundreds of people all over the state Anchorage put on their walking and running shoes for the Special Olympics Torch Run Saturday.

The torch was lit at West High, then officers led the 5-kilometer family run.

Over 200 people participated, many with strollers and even some kids on bikes.

The Anchorage Police Department organized the event through its Community Action Team.

"There are few people that we allow to hug us in uniform, and when you have a Special Olympic athlete come up and hug you and you see the appreciation in their face it makes it all worthwhile," Officer Carle Culbreth said.

Organizers hope to raise $150,000 statewide for Special Olympics Alaska.

Shaikh Khalid, the owner of Arab-Families.com, presenting the cheque for the special book to Pengiran Datin Hjh Noraini yesterday. Read here for full update!

3555003143_66a3e70c4e.jpg

participated for the first time in Special Olympics Soccer last fall and loved it. He had played a few years ago on a Upwards (church based-non competitive, supposedly) soccer team, but there were several competitive boys on the team and his participation was lacking. With SO soccer, he really took it on as his own and seemed much more interested than before. Like your son, mine loves to run and I had planned on signing up for Track and Field this spring, but it got away from me. Good luck!

That's so great!! :) May I ask how old your ds is?? Is there a beginning age that they must be at before participating? How cognizant do they have to really be to be able to participate? My son doesn't understand many instructions other than basic ones and basically if you let go of his hand he will just take off running. He won't come back if you shout after him to stop or come back, he would just run and do his own thing. Would he still be able to participate if he can't really understand or follow rules? Thanks for your reply. :)

Thank you everyone for your wonderful replies. I would love to do this with my son, I just wonder how much he could actually do. I think it would be a wonderful experience for all of us though. :) Thank you Debbie for the link. I'm sure once I can find a contact person and get some questions answered I won't be as clueless as I am now. ;) :D

There are certain ages to "compete" But our local group allowed my son to participate (go to practices) before he met that age. That works with non-team sports like gymnastics and swimming. I don't know the exact age - I think it is around 11 or 12.

Ah I see. My son might be too young then. He just turned 8 in March. Thanks so much for replying and letting me know. :)