Menu

Anyone use Henle Latin (with no prior Latin)

SLH in ND

If so, how did you like it? Did you use an audio CD with it? If so, was it a CD specific to the Henle program? I didn't see an audio CD on the Memoria Press website but it seems to me that I saw somewhere, at some point, that there is a CD.

I plan on using this for oldest dd, who will be doing it for high school. We dabbled in LC a while back and she's used to hearing Latin in church. Other than that, we have NO Latin background.

TIA for any input! I've been searching old posts on Latin curriculum and feel like there's to many options....which led me to just take it off the schedule for my 5th & 6th graders, for now. :tongue_smilie:

Sheri :)

Memoria Press publishes schedules for the first five units of Henle that will teach you how to learn a language with a break-down of assignments. From there you can just follow the method they use.

Seton sells a pronounciation CD, but it's just a professor of classics reciting, not really teaching. You can also find the CD from some Catholic curriculum providers. I find it helpful, but it's not a must.

I personally like Henle. It's definitely a no-nonsense Latin curriculum, but time has proven it.

Memoria Press publishes schedules for the first five units of Henle that will teach you how to learn a language with a break-down of assignments. From there you can just follow the method they use.

Seton sells a pronounciation CD, but it's just a professor of classics reciting, not really teaching. You can also find the CD from some Catholic curriculum providers. I find it helpful, but it's not a must.

I personally like Henle. It's definitely a no-nonsense Latin curriculum, but time has proven it.

So, it is possible to learn it, solely, from a book ... no audio? That's the part of homeschooling a foreign language I have a tough time wrapping my little brain :confused: around. In ps, I took French and I can't imagine not having a teacher teaching the correct sounds/pronunciations.

Is it that Latin is different than other languages, in that regard?

Some people don't worry about the pronounciation much at all. All of the native speakers are dead at this point:), and there's some controversy about "correct" pronounciation. I tend to "Spanish-ize" it having grown up in the Southwest, which bugs my child that has an especially good ear for the differences.

Of course if you follow a church tradition that uses Latin, how you speak/chant/sing it counts.

Some people don't worry about the pronounciation much at all. All of the native speakers are dead at this point:), and there's some controversy about "correct" pronounciation. I tend to "Spanish-ize" it having grown up in the Southwest, which bugs my child that has an especially good ear for the differences.

Of course if you follow a church tradition that uses Latin, how you speak/chant/sing it counts.

I know I am over-thinking (dh would say "obessing") this. I do have a tendency to do that, which irks my dh. :glare:

We do use Latin in church, but I'm not concerned about translating every single word being spoken/read. Yes, I'd like them to be able to pronounce words correctly. Oldest dd is leaning towards music and English for college but has also expressed interest in nursing. Knowledge of Latin is beneficial for all of those areas. Based on the replies, it seems that Henle should work fine and I could probably find audio samples online for pronunciation if we questioned something.

Whew, one more thing finalized for the upcoming school year!

I think most Latin programs, even advanced texts, usually have a pronunciation guide. Just a pages that says something like "e" is pronounced /ay/, "i" is pronounced /ee/, etc. Henle uses ecclesiastical pronunciation which is more like Italian with "c" pronounced /ch/ as opposed to /k/in classical pronunciation. You really don't need each and every word pronounce for you once you get the hang of the basic rules. I don't think either pronunciation has even half as many rules and exceptions as English.

But as others said, it doesn't matter so much since the native speakers aren't around any more. These days Latin is primarily read, not spoken.

Have you looked at MP's 1st Form? Some people are using this instead of Henle this year.

I did look at that last night when I was perusing the MP website, and my first thought was considering it for 2 dd who will be 5th & 6th graders. I wonder if I could count it as h.s. credit for oldest dd though. My other thought was that since it's going to be [literally] hot off the presses, those who use it now are the guinea pigs! I don't know if I want to be one. ;)

Thanks for mentioning that because I had put it out of my mind, but it might be worth looking at some more.

it can be used by someone with no Latin background. I love Henle. Ds#1 used LC1 and a little of LC2 before using Henle.

Henle teaches all the basics. Having a Latin background is not necessary with it. And there's no need for a teacher's guide to explain things to the teacher, because the student textbook explains everything so thoroughly (you will want the answer key, though). Ds was able to do Henle with very little help from me.

Most of the sentences/paragraphs in Henle I has either to do with Julius Caesar/Roman army/war or Christianity (some specifically Catholic teachings). I could understand it if a lot of girls don't like it.

And I agree with others who say that audio is not necessary since there are no living native Latin speakers.

Dd14 has been using Henle this year with the Memoria Press guide. Her previous Latin experience was Prima Latina in 6th and then a smattering of Latina Christiana and Latin for Children in 7th & 8th. So she wasn't totally new to Latin but certainly not well versed. She has found Henle easier to use than any of the others. It is straight-forward and doesn't jump around. She has pretty much done it on her own as my plans to keep ahead just didn't materialize. I think your dd would have no problem beginning Latin with Henle.

I am loving Henle! (For myself :001_smile:)

You have to get the grammar book to go with the program and it has a section on pronunciation. I think it's pretty sufficient.