Menu

Logic curriculums

GreenKitty

Introductory Logic / Intermediate Logic / (the?) Art of Argument / Traditional Logic. Also I think their are two one called 'Art of Argument' and the other called 'THE Art of Argument'. Which would/do you use? Do you know of another curriculum that would be just as good or better? Anything ya got would be appreciated...links explaining them, samples, etc.

(already done Fallacy Detective and Thinking Toolbox)

Thanks a bunch!

Here's a good link about the difference between Introductory Logic and Traditional Logic: http://www.memoriapress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=406

The Art of Argument by Classical Academic Press is an informal logic program. http://www.classicalacademicpress.com/aa.html

As I plan for my son's junior high years, I have changed my vision for Logic as a subject. I believe I'm going to hold off and do TLI in 8th grade & TLII in 9th grade (both of these are formal logic programs). If I wait for Logic until 9th grade, then I'll TL I and II that year. I plan to do Art of Argument as a supplement to TLI.

I'm not familiar with the other Art of Argument program you mentioned.

There's also Socratic Logic by Peter Kreeft. I"ve been trying to read & work through this book on my own, but it has not captured my attention like I thought it would. This book could replace TLI and II in high school.

I plan on starting our logic studies with Mind Benders next year, for fifth.

The year after that, I plan to do informal logic, as you already have, with Fallacy Detective and Thinking Toolbox.

I then plan to move into Introductory Logic, as I think it's simpler for a junior high student to comprehend (at least it was for us). I don't prefer the language/examples used in it over Traditional Logic, but as I think you'll see from Mr. Cothran's comparision of the two texts, it does cover a different logic system and broader range, so I think it has merit.

I plan on waiting until high school to attempt to cover Traditional Logic with my younger son. My older son did it in grades 7-8, but I think it would be better to hold off a little on it. I just think that there will be better retention and comprehension with a slightly older and more mature student.

Regena