Menu

Classical science?

lovinmomma

Going by what is written in the 2nd WTM edition, basically it is similar to how history is approached. One cycles through 4 areas of science. There is reading, narrations, memorizing of some facts, writing, and experimentation. Obviously the extent of each of those things depends on the level one is working at.

This is excellent. Thank you for this response.

How does the classical method approach science? What would an example be?

According to an excellent teaching CD by SWB called Science in the Classical Curriculum (from PHP - how's that for an advertisement):

grammar stage: is about observation. Observing nature, observing experiments that a parent does, observing the heavens, physical phenomenons, etc. Reading about all this stuff and absorbing details and facts.

logic stage: is about learning to use the scientific method to analyze information and observations, to read about and compare what different people might say about the same subject, such as evolution vs. creation

rhetoric stage: is about using the scientific method, reading, working together with other scientists, figuring out what you think about a particular topic, and probably other things I can't remember.

The CD is excellent. Gave me much more insight than what I extracted from the WTM book.

According to an excellent teaching CD by SWB called Science in the Classical Curriculum (from PHP - how's that for an advertisement):

Well, your previous review on this cd resulted in an order placed by Yours Truly! I actually ordered a few cds. I can't wait until they arrive!

grammar stage: is about observation. Observing nature, observing experiments that a parent does, observing the heavens, physical phenomenons, etc. Reading about all this stuff and absorbing details and facts.

logic stage: is about learning to use the scientific method to analyze information and observations, to read about and compare what different people might say about the same subject, such as evolution vs. creation

rhetoric stage: is about using the scientific method, reading, working together with other scientists, figuring out what you think about a particular topic, and probably other things I can't remember.

The CD is excellent. Gave me much more insight than what I extracted from the WTM book.

Do you know of a curriculum that actually does this? I'd love to get one!

I've tried to put together WTM science according to the book, it's called Elemental Science. You can see it here, but it is scheduled for 5 days a week. There are suggestions on how to use it two days a week. The programs include reading, narrations, experiments vocabulary and poem memorization. So far I have Biology, Earth Science & Astronomy and Chemistry for the Grammar Stage.

To be fair, you can also take a look at REAL Science by Pandia Press and NOEO, they are classical science programs.

Paige, I looked through your stuff, thanks for the link! I really liked it, any chance you'll ever market it with the supplies?? That's a real issue for busy moms like me!

Any ideas for logic stage classical science?

I would love to do that, but I live overseas, so it would be very hard for me to do:D. I don't know about logic stage, if I do write something, it won't be until we get closer to that stage.

I would love to do that, but I live overseas, so it would be very hard for me to do:D. I don't know about logic stage, if I do write something, it won't be until we get closer to that stage.

Maybe I'll get ambitious over the summer and gather supplies. Buying complete kits is always so expensive I think "I could do this myself for so much less...." but then "life" gets in the way. But, I'm getting more organized so, you never know!

Thank you!

Anybody else know of a logic stage program? I have kids in both stages.

Do you know of a curriculum that actually does this? I'd love to get one!

No, sorry, I don't. I haven't looked though, because I like putting my own thing together. I've heard that the new WTM has new logic stage science recs though, that I imagine probably make it easier.

I am writing one! I have the first unit done, Our Dynamic Earth. A free sample is available here. For more information about the curriculum (it's a work in progress), please see my blog post Science Logic.

I'd love to hear your thoughts and suggestions for how I can improve the curriculum.

Makita, that looks wonderful, I like that most of the experiment materials are easily available, too. This may be somewhere in the guide that's not included in the samples....but you may want to list somewhere a comprehensive list of what will be needed throughout the year. And, if there are things that have special storage considerations they should be included. I was just wondering at the "1 gram" of a couple things that would need to be purchased a a local plant nursery/hardware store to make a volcano. I have no idea how much that really is and if I could buy what sounds like such a small amount. If I could store it I would want to buy all I needed at the beginning of the year so a comprehensive list would be really helpful. Of course, all this may already be in there! Just a thought, since you asked.;)

Of course, science is NOT my thing! My eyes always begin to glaze over and my mind wanders when I read science. It looks like this could work for someone like me because it's written at a level my dc can read themselves and comprehend. Since the samples are not complete I have a question. Where does narration come into all this? After they read the info do they do a summary of that before they do the experiment? Or, do they do a summary after everything else is done? I'm not sure how that would work.

Thanks!

....but you may want to list somewhere a comprehensive list of what will be needed throughout the year.

That is a GREAT suggestion! I will add this to Our Dynamic Earth this week! Thank you!

I was also informed of a great resource for chemicals, Home Science Tools has all the chemicals mentioned in the volcano experiment. Each of the chemicals necessary are less than $5 for 30 grams except the zinc powder which was only 15 grams. Plenty of extra to repeat the experiment!

:D