Menu

Any advice on letting go?

For all you ladies who have graduated children already how did you do it? Emotionally not academically. My dd turned 17 today and this will be her senior year in the fall. I am not doing so well with it. She is awesome. She is ready. I have done a great job if I may say so. She is independant, responsible, great learner and best of all just a down to earth happy, beautiful girl. I am so afraid that there is something I am not going to give her over this next year. Did anyone make a list of things to check off? I would love to do some special things throughout the year but I am coming up short on ideas. I would really love some motherly wisdom.

Thanks,

Tracy

Well, I have graduated two. They are both males, so it may be a little different. You have to realize that you have done all you could for them, and it is their time to make their own decisions, live their own life, etc.

It is hard. As a Christian, I dedicated them to God when they were babies. I have found that as they become adults, I have to do it all over again.

My 23yo lives at home, goes to college, and works for his dad. He moved out for a while with some friends, but came back home because he missed everyone. I'll be glad to have him here as long as I can (which won't be too long as he is engaged). He is a wonderful young man. I'm not sure how to link to a previous post, but he wrote a poem for me when he was 22 and I posted it here as encouragement for others. The name of the thread was "My 22yo wrote me a poem" if you want to do a search.

My second son joined the Marine Corp when he was 18. It has been the hardest thing I have ever had to go through. I have learned the true meaning of "pray without ceasing." I have some rough days and some better days.

You have had many years with your daughter and it sounds like she is a wonderful young lady. It will be hard, but you will enjoy her in a different way as an adult, as your role in her life changes. It is bittersweet. Enjoy your daughter this year. I don't know if you have other children, but make some time to do some "girl' things together - shop, cook, go away for a weekend, etc.

I hear you! I have graduated 4 and married off both of my daughters.

I will say that each of them became very independant during their senior year and I was more than ready for them to move on when they did. I see it as a natural progression of life. They were ready to move on and not be a child any more.

But for the check list...I had one. I just can't remember where I got it from. Seems like it was in a homeschool reference book. I don't have it anymore..sorry. Maybe it was in Barb Shelton's High School Form U la.

I think the Abeka Home Ec..not sure what it is called today, covered lots of things I wanted my daughters to know and helped me cover in an organized fashion. The one on cooking culuminated in them planning and throwing a dinner party including a new dress. It was truly a fun project for them.

I had them read quite a few books along with that curriculum. Don Aslet's book on cleaning. Beautiful Girlhood, Art of Homemaking by Edith Shaefer, How they Learn by Cynthia Ulrich

Laundry, including stain removal

dry cleaning

At this point a good consumer's math book should be on the list for next year. It will cover things like:

Check book,

buying insurance,

paying bills,

grocery shopping ( have them plan and shop for a week's worth of meals)

How and where to get license tabs for the car

renew driver's license

what do utility bills cost.

what does medical insurance cost and what does it pay for.

How to read insurance forms.

how to file insurance claims

how to do income taxes

how to rent an apartment including deposit.

Try to slow down and enjoy your year. It will go fast!

Katie

Thanks for the your responses. I am glad to know that I am not the only one needing a list. I guess I just want things to be easier for her than they were for me. I felt like my parents did not prepare me for reality at all. MamaT my heart truly goes out to you with your son in the service. I will pray for you to have strength and courage. I have heard that the Lord provides grace as we need it. I can see where that would apply for you. I can't imagine how difficult it must be to not know so many things about what he is doing and his safety. On the other hand you must be incredbly proud of him also. Please thank him for his service and I appreciate your kind words and wisdom.:grouphug:

For all you ladies who have graduated children already how did you do it? Emotionally not academically. My dd turned 17 today and this will be her senior year in the fall. I am not doing so well with it. She is awesome. She is ready. I have done a great job if I may say so. She is independant, responsible, great learner and best of all just a down to earth happy, beautiful girl. I am so afraid that there is something I am not going to give her over this next year. Did anyone make a list of things to check off? I would love to do some special things throughout the year but I am coming up short on ideas. I would really love some motherly wisdom.

Thanks,

Tracy

I'm not there....I still have 4 years before my oldest graduates. I am going through a funk right now that I can't seem to get out of nor explain, and much of it has to do with her entering high school, me doubting myself and my choices, etc., despite seeing what a great person she is, me wondering if I'm enough or have enough to offer her or my boys to even be doing this. I know those are two different things entirely, but I feel humbled enough right now from my weakness and self-doubt that I can say without doubt that I will pray for you. :grouphug: I know that I know I will feel just like you do when that time comes. I often wonder if the separation must be so much harder as a homeschool mom.