Menu

CLE Math Please tell me what you dislike about it.

MrsMe

CLE Math 1 made my ds cry at age 5.5. I decided pretty quickly we needed to stay with a "mastery" style curriculum. (I use that term loosely... We used Modern Curriculum for K and 1st, along with Singapore 1A and then moved to my absolute FAVORITE math program BJU Math 2).

The lessons look so much like each other each day that ds was getting burned out on the "same old same old" all the time. The length of the lessons was also an issue, probably because of his age (he had FLOWN through MCP K).

The speed drills completely defeated ds, and he's not a slow student, he just doesn't thrive under time pressure (once I removed the time constraint he still hated them because of the monotony).

There is no color, very little in the way of visual illustrations at all.

Our experience with CLE was so bad that I completely re-thought my direction for hs curriculum (I had planned to use CLE complete, all the way from grade 1-12). Happily, that has led us to our love affair with WinterPromise and BJU.

I don't dislike anything about it. However, my daughters think that the time limit for the speed drills are too short in the 3rd grade material. In the 3rd grade material they are given 1 minute for 36 problems. So, I just give them 2 minutes. After all, I am the teacher. I need to make the decisions as I see fit.

My children have no problem with the spiral method. I use it with three different grade levels. We have used it for 1 year now.

Jennie

We're already doing spiral method, so that's not an issue. My dd also doesn't like "color", so that's not an issue either. (But thanks anyway Snow White!!!! :lol:) But I only see love it! reviews and there's got to be something that somebody doesn't like so I can make a reasonable decision. Because what others hate, may be what we like (in Snow White's case).

There isn't anything that *I* don't like about it, but my daughter doesn't love the speed drills. She can be a perfectionist and not being able to complete all the problems in the set amount of time upset her. So, I stopped timing her. I was concerned that she'd never learn her math facts without drill. She wasn't having trouble in her lessons, but she would count on her fingers. When I stopped worrying so much about it, she just got it! She has gained a world of confidence this year in her Math studies. I have Math 300 lined up for next year. And she has already flipped through the Light Units getting excited about what she'll learn in 3rd grade.