Menu

Quick AP question - selecting college to send scores

It's my understand (though I could definitely be wrong) that students have the option to send scores to one college for free, at the time of testing. If so, and if the student has a strong first choice college, would it behoove that student to have the scores sent (sight unseen) to that college? Would it make more sense to just wait till senior year?

Thanks :) My dd did two practice FRQ tests today, two over the weekend. Whew, we'll both be glad to see this week in the rearview mirror!

I don't think it matters that much.

Sending in a freebie score DOES show interest in the particular college, so it might be worthwhile. (All the colleges my kids applied to other than the Ivy-like schools were very concerned about my kids' level of interest in the school, and sending iin scores early would help address that.)

Because I am a bit paranoid that the colleges won't get all the application materials, I would probably resend the score during senior year anyway.

I think my ds got to indicate 4 colleges for freebie reports with his Am. His. exam this week. Each report should also include prior scores from prior tests, too. He picked four schools to which he knows he wants to apply....later we will add about four more schools and reorder (and pay) to get reports sent there, too. If it is the spring of your kid's junior year - send the reports. If they are sophomore or freshie, you can send (since it is free) or wait. If the kid is not a Jr. about ready to apply I wouldn't count on the school to hang on to the score report. I'd resend anyway after the set of AP exams Jr. year.

Thanks! I'm not intending that they necessarily hold onto the report - really just to indicate that she's interested :)

I read somewhere the student could indicate only one college. If my dd could come up with 4 schools where she's mildly interested, I'd be doing cartwheels ;)