Menu

Homeschool version of "Weekly Reader"?

Jackie in NE

I recently put my 2 little guys into public school. It's a long story. Suffice it to say that I will likely be bringing them home next year.

One thing that they have really liked is the "Weekly Reader" magazine that they get at school. Is there a Christian or Homeschool version of something like this?

They are just little 2-page "magazines" with age appropriate info. about everyday stuff. There are questions to check for comprehension.

I would be interested in these for all four of my dc, ages 6, 7, 9, and 13.

An aside: the 2 older dc already get Clubhouse and Clubhouse Jr. magazines which are put out by Focus on the Family. These are great, but are just for pleasure reading. I would like something more "schooly" for school.

TIA, Jackie

I am not aware of an alternative, but you can get weekly readers on your own if you really liked them. I bought a subscription for a friend of mine and I (too expensive for just 1, but cheap for 2 subs)...They send a month at a time, so this gives me a reason to stop by and visit with my friend. :) I have the second grade one, but my 4 year old sits in and reads with us as well. They are a cute supplement to just read while having lunch, or while I'm correctly ds's school work. :)

God's World News also does a summer edition, with longer magazines once a month. Maybe a good way to try it out before committing to the schoolyear? We did this last summer and decided not to get the schoolyear subscription, then Weekly Reader was a huge hassle with not sending the right stuff, so we cancelled that and are currently not using a weekly magazine.