Menu

Singapore users.

Ohdanigirl

That bad, yikes. I already order from Singaporemath.com, but the idea of using the same books used by students in Singapore appealed to me, not so much if it would cost me an arm and a leg. Thanks for the warning.

I order from them. I got all my books at once because the shipping worked out cheaper that way. Also, shipping to Australia is expensive from anywhere:glare:. Their service was very good.

As to the differences between the versions, I don't know what they are because I've only seen the one version. All the units in the Singapore version are metric though and the money is all in Singapore Dollars.

As to the differences between the versions, I don't know what they are because I've only seen the one version. All the units in the Singapore version are metric though and the money is all in Singapore Dollars.

We started with the Singapore version. It has a few other very minor differences, such as some of the children's names & items in story problems that we weren't familiar with.

If you have the HIG, I remember there were pages in the back to add in some of the US stuff (which you may or may not need).

about 4+ yrs ago I ordered my books direct from the publisher. I'd have to search to find the site.

The cost was like 1.25 a book (compared to the $8 of retail). I ordered for my 4 kids, for all of the Primary years. Even with the amazingly expensive shipping (my memory is that it was about $50) I got them for just a tad over 1/2 of what it would have cost me to buy them here. It took almost 6 mos for them to arrive, and I was begining to worry, when the box showed up.

The Singapore edition (called 3rd edition) has metric, singaporean money, and Asian names. The US edition workbooks are easily interchanged, as the problem answers are the same. I've appreciated that my kids aredoing metric math as a matter of course, and not as a "unit".

Teresa

about 4+ yrs ago I ordered my books direct from the publisher. I'd have to search to find the site.

Teresa

That would be great. I am very interested, we live in Mexico, but I order all my books at once and have them shipped to family. It works out better that way. Saving money is always a plus.

The Singapore edition (called 3rd edition)
These are not the books currently used in Singapore. Singaporemath.com (which owns the rights to the Singapore materials in the US) used to sell the 3rd Edition books, but stopped a few months ago because of low sales. The latest Standards Edition has topics from the 3rd Edition (missing in the US Edition) added back in.

The materials on SGBox are some of the materials currently used in Singapore. If you scroll down and read the text above and below the chart, you'll see SingaporeMath.com's rational for not offering the new books. I think it also has to do with the fact that the new materials are published by private companies.

An excerpt:

Will there be another revision of the Singapore mathematics syllabus in the near future? Yes. Textbooks first published in 2001 have been revised in 2007. C
hanges in 2007 (for texts now used in Singapore) include use of calculators earlier than before (in level 5), reduction in mental math, and removal of operations on compound units in measurement. The contents of Primary Mathematics Series remain the same.

The latest Standards Edition has topics from the 3rd Edition (missing in the US Edition) added back in.

I haven't seen the new standards edition, but there are no topics missing between the 3rd edition & the US edition -- just some US money & measurement added, and some names & such changed. I have used both, and my Home Instructor Guides include answers to both, and I feel quite sure that those are the only differences.

I haven't seen the new standards edition, but there are no topics missing between the 3rd edition & the US edition -- just some US money & measurement added, and some names & such changed. I have used both, and my Home Instructor Guides include answers to both, and I feel quite sure that those are the only differences.
Sorry, I meant the 2nd Edition. Some topics were dropped from 2nd to 3rd.

Sorry, I meant the 2nd Edition. Some topics were dropped from 2nd to 3rd.

I actually thought those topics taken out between 2nd and 3rd were added back to the US Edition (which is otherwise nearly identical to the 3rd), as mentioned at the Singapore site: "One of the major chapters removed from Primary Mathematics (Second Edition) was "Division of Fractions". This same chapter was added back in our Primary Mathematics (US Edition)". - the Standards edition, I think, has topics California had added that were never in the 2nd or 3rd editions (coordinate graphing, negative numbers), AFAIK.

I actually thought those topics taken out between 2nd and 3rd were added back to the US Edition (which is otherwise nearly identical to the 3rd), as mentioned at the Singapore site: "One of the major chapters removed from Primary Mathematics (Second Edition) was "Division of Fractions". This same chapter was added back in our Primary Mathematics (US Edition)". - the Standards edition, I think, has topics California had added that were never in the 2nd or 3rd editions (coordinate graphing, negative numbers), AFAIK.

Since I don't have the 2nd and 3rd editions, I'm only going by what I've read in the FAQ at SingaporeMath.com:

Is the Standards Edition of Primary Math "dumbed down" compared to the US or third edition?

No, it is not. It does meet the math requirements per grade level for California, and so some topics were added and rearranged, but it maintains the integrity of the Primary Mathematics curriculum. Most of the content is the same as in the US edition and thus the third edition of Primary Mathematics, and some content was added in from the second edition of Primary Mathematics. In fact, it is probably in places a bit more challenging than the US edition because of the addition of material from the second edition of Primary Mathematics. This is one series that has not followed the trend of decreasing challenge with each new edition!

Having so many editions and changes is very confusing. :)