Menu

Dancing Bears.....

We are currently using Logic of English Foundations, and it is working great for my slow readers.  We are almost done with level B.  I am considering switching to Dancing Bears and Apples and Pears because it would be easier for me to teach daily (also fits my teaching style better).  I used Apples and Pears with my oldest daughter, and we loved it.

Does Dancing Bears actually work?  I see it recommended frequently for dyslexics (on the wtm website too), what is it that makes it work good for these learners?  Just looking at the samples it seems really simplistic, and the stories are a bit strange.  Please share your experiences using DB.

Edited by Guest

The stories are strange, LOL. We skipped them.

The program is very simplistic. It's systematic and has a lot practice. Tracking with a cue card-thingy is an integral part of the program.

I used DB with my oldest, and still occasionally with my youngest. I like it...but it isn't the only tool in my toolbox, ya know? We also used the Sam readers and REWARDS Intermediate and and and ... ;)

I can't say DB is the single program that made my oldest a reader, but it was good to have when we burned out or stalled on another program.

ETA: both my girls use Apples & Pears. It's holy grail for us.

Edited by alisoncooks

I used DB for a time with DD12, who is dyslexic. It was not sufficient for her. It does not teach how to sound out and remember the phonograms directly (though there are some flashcards, if I am remembering correctly). What it does do is force the child to slow down and sound out each phonogram or syllable. DD was a word guesser, and it did help with this habit, but it did not do anything to remediate her dyslexia. So we dropped it.

Others may have a better review to offer. I just found that it helped with habit training to reduce guessing and encourage sounding out. Otherwise, it was not much help.

When DD had her NP testing later, he said that he would classify her phonological disability as severe. DB may work better for someone with a mild disability.

What worked for her (and is still in progress) was an OG based approach.

I had worked with her so much on phonics that I had become certain that she would not be able to ever remember the phonograms. I used DB because it did not take a phonetic approach (it is morpheme based). But in the end, it was a phonetic approach that worked for DD after all, but it needed to be multisensory and intense, which is what OG offered.