Menu

Mystery Science & History Unboxed anyone?

I need more structure/work done for me.  We've been kind of floating around with the content subjects and that pretty much means they rarely get done.  My twins are bored with just skill subjects so I want to reignite their love of learning with some interesting topics.

My DD is very hands on which is why I'm considering HU. My DS likes more structure so it would be nice if they could rely on doing history on a regular basis, which is not happening now due to me not being able to get through SOTW the second time. (We are secular homeschoolers and I'll leave it at that. ;) ) Science, well I don't really have an excuse for that one other than I thought I could just look up experiments as things interest them but it turns out gathering supplies and following through is not my strong suit. 

My questions are:

1. Is HU worth the cost?  It would be ~ $64 a month for two kids

2. Mystery Science, is it watered down?  My DD is really into science and won't pay attention if it's "baby science" (I'll be able to answer this question in a couple of weeks when I see the curriculum but I'm being impatient/don't want to waste my time.

3. If you've tried these and they were both not great, do you have any suggestions?  I'll take suggestions for something else even if no one has tried these because i'm getting a teensy bit desperate. 

DD is probably MG and DS is probably EG if that matters.

We loved Mystery Science.  It's not watered down, and it makes the kids really think.  Lessons that we did two years ago have stuck in my child's brain, and he's asked to restart it next year rather than BFSU since they've added more mysteries. I think I might get the second volume of BFSU anyway and try to match up the programs as much as possible, or use one to springboard into a subject in the other.

We haven't used HU.  I thought about it, but I got nitpicky when looking at the sample boxes.  Most of the topics are done as well in the SOTW activity guide, but the bonus would be that I don't have to gather supplies.  The downside would be that the boxes didn't always look complete, either, and I know myself and that I'd be supplementing each month.

• Like 3

We loved Mystery Science. It's not watered down, and it makes the kids really think.

This has been our experience too. The end of lesson assessments have some really thought provoking questions. We just treated them like worksheets, rather than tests.

No experience with History Unboxed, sorry. I've made SOTW open and go (by printing and sorting the comprehension questions and mapwork into one big workbook), and that's working well for us.