#51 Frances

Frances

Hive Mind Level 2 Worker: Nurse Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2219 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 11:55 PM

10 is eligible.

30 is when SS is not reduced due to Windfall Elimination Provision and Government Pension Offset.

So, as a long living female who will retire from a govt job that didn't contribute to SS for age 22-47 you would want your moonlighting as an adjunct work annually to earn you at least 2 quarters, then work enough from 47- up to become eligible to receive your SS benefits. Otherwise you go away happy that you donated your SS contributions and if you are widowed and live in to your late 90s you may regret that.

Interesting. I had to google because I never heard of this before. Here state jobs have a pension and SS withholding. I wonder how many states still have only pensions?

#52 dlcricket

dlcricket

Hive Mind Worker Bee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 139 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 09:22 AM

Both my sons worked as adjuncts and it was tough. We are thankful that they both now have full time faculty jobs with benefits. The oldest teaches Spanish at Lane College in Jackson, Tennessee, and the younger teaches English at Penn State.
  • Frances, creekland, MarkT and 1 other like this

#53 *LC

*LC

Hive Mind Level 4 Worker: Builder Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 801 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 09:47 AM

10 is eligible.

30 is when SS is not reduced due to Windfall Elimination Provision and Government Pension Offset.

So, as a long living female who will retire from a govt job that didn't contribute to SS for age 22-47 you would want your moonlighting as an adjunct work annually to earn you at least 2 quarters, then work enough from 47- up to become eligible to receive your SS benefits. Otherwise you go away happy that you donated your SS contributions and if you are widowed and live in to your late 90s you may regret that.

I'm not sure I understand the last part.

This is from the socialsecurity pdf "5 things every woman needs to know about social security."
5. When your husband (or ex dies), you’re probably due a widow’s benefit 
Widows are due between 71 percent (at age 60) and 100 percent (at full retirement age) of what the husband was getting before he died. 
But we must pay your own retirement benefit first, then supplement it with whatever extra benefits you are due as a widow, to take your Social Security benefit up to the widow’s rate. 
We also can pay you a $255 one-time death benefit if you were living with your husband when he died. 
If you made more money than your husband, then he might be due a widower’s benefit on your record if you die before he does.

I read this as any SS benefit the retirement-age widow is due on her own SS account will be subtracted from the amount of benefit she would receive as the widow of a retired worker. So, the way I read this is unless a woman is going to be due SS retirement greater than her husband's benefit, working will not increase the amount of money she receives from social security in retirement. The point of the thread is that adjunct professors are low-paid, so someone intrested in adjuncting just for future SS benefits should investigate this fully. (Of course, working will give her money before she retires. I also understand there are other reasons for working besides money.)

#54 Heigh Ho

Heigh Ho

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12125 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 10:59 AM

I'm not sure I understand the last part.

This is from the socialsecurity pdf "5 things every woman needs to know about social security."
5. When your husband (or ex dies), you’re probably due a widow’s benefit 
Widows are due between 71 percent (at age 60) and 100 percent (at full retirement age) of what the husband was getting before he died. 
But we must pay your own retirement benefit first, then supplement it with whatever extra benefits you are due as a widow, to take your Social Security benefit up to the widow’s rate. 
We also can pay you a $255 one-time death benefit if you were living with your husband when he died. 
If you made more money than your husband, then he might be due a widower’s benefit on your record if you die before he does.

I read this as any SS benefit the retirement-age widow is due on her own SS account will be subtracted from the amount of benefit she would receive as the widow of a retired worker. So, the way I read this is unless a woman is going to be due SS retirement greater than her husband's benefit, working will not increase the amount of money she receives from social security in retirement. The point of the thread is that adjunct professors are low-paid, so someone intrested in adjuncting just for future SS benefits should investigate this fully. (Of course, working will give her money before she retires. I also understand there are other reasons for working besides money.)

The point of my post is that many who are adjuncts have a main job with govt pension plan and don't/didn't contribute to SS in that job,  and need to make a certain amount of money per quarter from the adjunct job in order to max their retirement bennies from all sources in the future.  Read up on WEP and GPO to understand their situation re: spousal SS.