Menu

Memoria Press comp vs. WTM

My 4th grade dd is using MP core and that has her in Classical Composition Fable right now. I plan to outsource writing in middle school/high school. I like MP and plan to keep her going down that path and would use the Memoria Press Online Academy for the classes, perhaps beginning next year in the Narrative stage but definitely for the following year (6th grade). The other option is the writing series with WTMA beginning with Expository Writing 1 and progressing through the Rhetoric series.

Older kids have taken classes through both providers and have been happy. They fit our needs and our religious views and the plan would be to use one of the two. I'd like to pick a path and stay the course, not switch around.

If I am going to go with MPOA I will hopefully start her in the online class for 5th so I would need to register her for that in the next few months. If I go with WTMA I would wait until 6th and put her in Expository 1. Any thoughts on the two programs and how they compare? I am waffling but I don't really feel very competent to evaluate the courses and expectations. I have outsourced writing in the upper grades so I don't feel as informed as I should be to look at the two and make a call. So I would love the insights of the smart parents here who are familiar with the programs.

I think I would plunk her in Narrative next year for sure if the time was different. The class posted on the website is not perfect for us. We can make it work but there will be some tradeoffs.

I've been pleased with MP for dd so far and I'd like to continue. My older ds has done well with WTMA. Hmmm....I guess if they post a class with a more convenient time my choice would be much easier.

Do you have experience with any other MPOA classes? My ds is in Logic and College Prep American History and we have been pleased but WTMA is his first choice for everything.

Just musing...feel free to muse along. ;)

I think I would plunk her in Narrative next year for sure if the time was different. The class posted on the website is not perfect for us. We can make it work but there will be some tradeoffs.

I've been pleased with MP for dd so far and I'd like to continue. My older ds has done well with WTMA. Hmmm....I guess if they post a class with a more convenient time my choice would be much easier.

Do you have experience with any other MPOA classes? My ds is in Logic and College Prep American History and we have been pleased but WTMA is his first choice for everything.

The course listings are not complete. That second section listed as TBA will likely be added. The director is adding classes as his teachers provide their schedules. I’m pretty sure he had two full sections this year.

• Like 1

Sorry - I missed the last part. My oldest daughter has been taking classes at MPOA for 4 years, and we are very happy with the courses & teachers. Her first class was Narrative. She's in HS Comp II this year. She takes composition, Latin, literature and Classical Studies. My youngest plans to start Narrative next fall. I know Dr. Dray's class time doesn't work for you, but he is my oldest daughter's favorite teacher.

• Like 1

Sorry - I missed the last part. My oldest daughter has been taking classes at MPOA for 4 years, and we are very happy with the courses & teachers. Her first class was Narrative. She's in HS Comp II this year. She takes composition, Latin, literature and Classical Studies. My youngest plans to start Narrative next fall. I know Dr. Dray's class time doesn't work for you, but he is my oldest daughter's favorite teacher.

Thanks! I am leaning towards putting my dd in that Narrative class (though waiting to see what other time is offered). It is not an ideal time for us but I think it is probably worth the tradeoff of the activity we would miss. Dd is doing fine in Fable but I'd like to get her the more formal instruction from Narrative on. I think ;)