Menu

Church..need some advice

LEOW3301

If you decide to look at Lutheran churches, based on what you have said I think you would fit in with LCMS or WELS ones but not with ELCA ones. The ELCA is much more liberal in their theologies and views of Scripture than the others.

Another book for you: "Catholic, Lutheran, Protestant: A Doctrinal Comparison of Three Christian Confessions"

Thank you for the book reference! I wrote it down. I also wrote down your suggestion for the Lutheran Church. I will have to see what ones are around here and see if it matches what you said. Thank you! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I want to second the poster upthread who suggested going and speaking with members of the different denominations about what they believe.  I think it will be far more productive in helping you than talking to people about what they don't believe from other denominations.  You're always going to get the clearest picture of understanding each church's doctrine by visiting that church, learning from them about their own understanding of their doctrine, and praying to the Lord for his guidance in helping you to know what is true or not from what you learn.

• Like 2

You may find the LCMS (type of Lutheran) church to be a good fit.  Beliefs regarding Holy Baptism and Holy Communion are similar to those of the Roman Catholic church (sacraments not symbols).  The services in many LCMS churches will mirror the mass you are used to, and the church year is followed.  Some differences are lack of veneration of saints and Mary (although they are respected and there are feast days on the church calendar to encourage people to learn about their lives, there is no asking them to pray for you), lack of belief in purgatory, and Scripture elevated over church tradition (although some church tradition is appreciated and referenced, it is not seen as infallible like Scripture).  

You mentioned confession -- it (in unison in the group prayer setting) and absolution are a part of the LCMS worship service, with the focus on grace and assurance of full forgiveness through Christ.  (Individual confession is not required and is seldom used, but the pastor is happy to meet you for that purpose if you feel especially burdened and desire to individually hear Christ's words of forgiveness for you.)

Note -- just giving a VERY brief info to the OP.  Understand that there are many nuances to all these things.  :)

• Like 2

You may find the LCMS (type of Lutheran) church to be a good fit. Beliefs regarding Holy Baptism and Holy Communion are similar to those of the Roman Catholic church (sacraments not symbols). The services in many LCMS churches will mirror the mass you are used to, and the church year is followed. Some differences are lack of veneration of saints and Mary (although they are respected and there are feast days on the church calendar to encourage people to learn about their lives, there is no asking them to pray for you), lack of belief in purgatory, and Scripture elevated over church tradition (although some church tradition is appreciated and referenced, it is not seen as infallible like Scripture).

You mentioned confession -- it (in unison in the group prayer setting) and absolution are a part of the LCMS worship service, with the focus on grace and assurance of full forgiveness through Christ. (Individual confession is not required and is seldom used, but the pastor is happy to meet you for that purpose if you feel especially burdened and desire to individually hear Christ's words of forgiveness for you.)

Note -- just giving a VERY brief info to the OP. Understand that there are many nuances to all these things. :)

Thank you for all of the information! It helps to know about all the different religions that I’m not familiar with. I am going to look into it!

Thank you for your time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk