Menu

Anki users out there?

Pen

I have read Fluent Forever and would like to make Anki work--starting with a premade Spanish deck.

But I cannot succeed in overcoming preliminary technical difficulties in terms of getting signed up, loaded etc.

I try and nothing seems to happen.

I tried on both a Mac and PC computer. And was at a library with pretty good wi-fi. Did not try cell phone because I don't think mine has enough storage space.  My ds has a better cell phone, but I don't want to suggest he go for Anki unless I see for myself that it is wonderful.

Any ideas?

But I cannot succeed in overcoming preliminary technical difficulties in terms of getting signed up, loaded etc.

I try and nothing seems to happen.

Not sure which step of the process you are having technical difficulties with, but I highly recommend checking out their tech support site at https://anki.tenderapp.com/discussions/ankidesktop. They are quick to respond with helpful advice!

Good luck to you. We are Anki nuts at our house, and I can't imagine homeschooling without it. As PP mentioned, there can certainly be a learning curve, but once you understand the way it works, it really is quite fabulous! :001_tt1:

• Like 1

I originally downloaded it from the Anki website. Once I found where the downloads ended up, installing it was automatic.

More recently I bought and installed some pronunciation trainers from Fluent Forever. Those came with instructions for installing Anki, if you don't have it, and downloading the cards.

Maybe you could give us some me details about what you are seeing?

• Like 1

There is a learning curve. Have you seen the tutorials on his website? They helped me.

ETA link:

https://fluent-forever.com/chapter2/

Not sure which step of the process you are having technical difficulties with, but I highly recommend checking out their tech support site at https://anki.tenderapp.com/discussions/ankidesktop. They are quick to respond with helpful advice!

Good luck to you. We are Anki nuts at our house, and I can't imagine homeschooling without it. As PP mentioned, there can certainly be a learning curve, but once you understand the way it works, it really is quite fabulous! :001_tt1:

I originally downloaded it from the Anki website. Once I found where the downloads ended up, installing it was automatic.

More recently I bought and installed some pronunciation trainers from Fluent Forever. Those came with instructions for installing Anki, if you don't have it, and downloading the cards.

Maybe you could give us some me details about what you are seeing?

1.  From fluent-forever website, I tried clicking to go to where I could download Anki, but when I tried clicking on the area for downloading to Windows. Nothing at all seemed to happen. I tried multiple times.

2.  From Anki website (found by googling Anki and linking off of google), I tried "sign up" it appeared that that went well, and I expected a message to arrive at my email Inbox -- but none did as if something went wrong after all.  This was also with a Windows 8.1 / PC computer.

3.  On MacBook: Starting with a Google search for a premade Spanish Anki deck ("top 5000 words" was what I found), I went to the link and tried to download...  I saw enough to get a warning that it was a large file and could take some time, did I want to proceed? I clicked continue.  I could see it coming in on my downloads box area, but it looks like it failed to complete the download.  Maybe I will just try that again, since it seemed the closest so far to some sort of success.

Or might there be a shorter file to try out to start?

4. I would like to try premade materials from Fluent-forever like the pronunciation trainer, but am concerned that I'll end up paying for them, but won't actually be able to make them work.

Hmm. Signing up gave me an account, which is necessary, but didn't email me a download file. I had to get that from the site, which it sounds like you tried.

If I go to apps.ankiweb.net there is a big download button at the top. Clicking that takes me to the Windows download section (Windows 8 is listed). Then there are 4 installation instructions. Did you see those instructions? The first thing you do is save the installer to your computer, then find it and double-click to run it. Is it possible your computer protection software is set to disallow downloads?

• Like 1

Hmm. Signing up gave me an account, which is necessary, but didn't email me a download file. I had to get that from the site, which it sounds like you tried.

If I go to apps.ankiweb.net there is a big download button at the top. Clicking that takes me to the Windows download section (Windows 8 is listed). Then there are 4 installation instructions. Did you see those instructions? The first thing you do is save the installer to your computer, then find it and double-click to run it. Is it possible your computer protection software is set to disallow downloads?

No. I'm not even getting to a Windows Download section or seeing those instructions.  I do see the big Download button. When I click it on my PC, nothing happens.  That is, I click, and  see the same exact screen still there. 

On the Mac, it does start to download, but what then happens is that in my "downloads" area it shows up with an X as if something went wrong, or it is unavailable. I cannot open it from downloads, and it does not show up as being located anywhere if I go to "finder"  (other things like Kindle for Mac do). 

I just deleted it from Mac Downloads since it might get in the way of another attempt.

I'm going to start all over again with the attempt to sign up and get an account.  Maybe the problem is that not being properly signed up nothing else will happen right either.

My yet newer idea is to give up with trying to get it for computer, and instead to pay for it (and the pronunciation trainer) for ds for his iPhone.  If it really works well, that would be worthwhile. I just hate to take plunge where so far it seems so ... nothing at all.

We don't have wifi at home so I went to public library which is how I usually download anything that takes wifi. I don't know how big the anki files are compared to other downloads.

The library wifi can be variable depending on demand. And it was busy there. So perhaps a less crowded day/time will work better.

Thanks for telling me not to go for just the iPhone app alone.

I'll try different browser / looking for possible security barriers .  

Ideally, what is the best order to be doing the needed technical things?

I am guessing:

1) sign up

2) download the anki app

3) download whatever I'm trying to use to see what it is like -- premade deck --  5000 Spanish words, or the Pronunciation Trainer, or something like that

I would not just download to the iPhone. My understanding is that you can't create cards on the app, so it would have a very limited utility.

Thanks for telling me this.  This also means that I'll try more to download on the Mac which I prefer working with, rather than the PC, with the idea that ultimately ds can use his iPhone to study, but that content could be made on the Mac.  In theory, as I understand it, once we have it, whatever device is used we should be able to use any device and continue on studying. Is that so?

And do you know if the Fluent-forever materials once gotten can then have their cards reviewed on any of our devices that we have managed to get Anki onto (assuming eventual success on that)?

Can you find a link for forgot password/user name? Maybe you can reset your password that way and it will recognize you again.

I think you should start with downloading just the application. Make sure that works before trying to download any word files.

The library may have download limits/securities/whatever, too. So if you continue to have difficulty downloading the program, you should ask a librarian, too.

I don't have any experience with the Fluent Forever decks except the sample one you can download for free to set up the cards. That one was just added to my account, so it shows up whenever I login.

I wish you luck! We just started with it at the beginning of the school year, but I can see how it is a powerful tool for memorization.

• Like 1

Thanks for telling me this. This also means that I'll try more to download on the Mac which I prefer working with, rather than the PC, with the idea that ultimately ds can use his iPhone to study, but that content could be made on the Mac. In theory, as I understand it, once we have it, whatever device is used we should be able to use any device and continue on studying. Is that so?

And do you know if the Fluent-forever materials once gotten can then have their cards reviewed on any of our devices that we have managed to get Anki onto (assuming eventual success on that)?

Yes. I downloaded a pronunciation trainer last weekend and added it to my account and each of my three dc's accounts. I did all that on my pc and then this morning we all studied from our individual decks on our other devices.

I suggest starting with a desktop version of Anki (cheaper the better). Make a couple of flashcards for whatever you want, then figure out how to move them to a different deck, create a new deck, export a deck, import a deck change the card type, make a profile for your ds... I can't think of anything else off the top of my head, but those are all things I do on a semi-regular basis. I feel like I still have to figure it out again each time. This way you are a bit familiar with the app before you try to load a pronunciation deck.

The pronunciation trainers also come with a few basic pronunciation videos for him to watch.

• Like 1

Yes. I downloaded a pronunciation trainer last weekend and added it to my account and each of my three dc's accounts. I did all that on my pc and then this morning we all studied from our individual decks on our other devices.

I suggest starting with a desktop version of Anki (cheaper the better). Make a couple of flashcards for whatever you want, then figure out how to move them to a different deck, create a new deck, export a deck, import a deck change the card type, make a profile for your ds... I can't think of anything else off the top of my head, but those are all things I do on a semi-regular basis. I feel like I still have to figure it out again each time. This way you are a bit familiar with the app before you try to load a pronunciation deck.

The pronunciation trainers also come with a few basic pronunciation videos for him to watch.

Making progress!  Have Anki downloaded on one computer.

Have a premade / shared (free) Anki deck loaded to experience what it is like.

I see there is User Number 1 spot, which makes me think it is possible to add a User Number 2.  

But how?

I'll also want to know how to have multiple users when I get the pronunciation trainer.   Which may be soon, since I am at library, and the wifi is working fast. So I'd like to take advantage of that.

• Like 1

Under File select "Switch Profile"

That is how you can rename User 1 to Pen, and also how you add your ds.

Before you open the pronunciation trainer, open Anki with your profile. Then the trainer will automatically load into your profile. Next, select the drop down great button to the right of the top-level Anki deck (i think he calls it something like, say, Dutch Memory). Choose "export file". I have it export to my desk top so I don't have to search for it. The pronunciation trainers are BIG and moving them around took a little time. Agree you have exported the deck, switch profiles to your ds. At the bottom of the window there is a button to import file. Then you just have to find it and select it.

After that, nothing you do to the deck in your profile will affect his version that lives in his profile. Do, you can study Esperanto (or whatever) along with him and then have your own pseudo-secret conversations!

• Like 1