Menu

Singapore 5B to Jacobs? (not typical question)

HilJoy14

Quick math/education background:  My DD12 was in public school K-3, homeschooled grades 4&5 - during which she did TT5, Saxon 6/5, and Horizons 6 (first 2/3 of the book, which started into some pre-algebra), and is attending a Classical Christian school this year, where they use Singapore 5A and 5B in 6th grade.  I realized that it was a step backwards in math, but they don't allow options.  AND she regularly missed problems from lack of focus (not understanding) while homeschooling, so I figured the review/practice in a different math program could do her good (which I think it has).

For 7th grade, the school has two options: Singapore 6A/6B or Jacobs Algebra.  (From Singapore 6A/6B, they go to Jacobs Algebra for 8th, so it's just a one-year delay for the "slower" option.)  So, the "slower" option puts them in Calculus for senior year, which I think it plenty fast (and what I did, as a math major).  I don't really see any reason to move faster than that.

BUT we just received an email saying that they recommend DD to be in Algebra for 7th grade next year, based on grades, ability to learn new concepts, standardized tests, etc.  They realize there is a gap, so they send home a large packet to be completed over summer.  They also have an optional math summer camp one week.  (And I'd be willing to buy a text book if we needed, too - something like Horizons, maybe?)

My questions are many (on the same theme):

1)  Does algebra in 7th grade seem like a good idea?  Would this benefit her, or is it just rushing?

2)  Is 5B to Jacobs a reasonable progression (with some extra work over the summer)?

3)  Do you have any specific recommendations for what to be sure we cover over the summer (or texts to go through) if we decide to go with algebra for 7th grade?

Thanks for any advice/suggestions!

Edited by HilJoy14

We are Singapore 1A-6B users in this house, and 6A/6B are SHORT - much quicker than all the other levels. I don't know about Jacobs, but in moving from Singapore to Dolicani (pre-algebra), we had an "irregular" transition: in other words, some units of pre-a were totally review, and some were totally brand-new concepts. I guessed that might happen, and it wasn't a problem, but - just a heads-up if that happens in Jacobs, too. 

I really like 6A / 6B for typical-strong students because it is such an excellent review (and, in our case, for 3 kids, has really opened up a path to self-teaching math, which has continued into the other books). 

Not sure if any of that is helpful, but $.02.

Algebra in 7th grade is fine.  And there won't be that much of a gap going from Singapore 5 to Jacobs.  Jacobs is gentle and covers a lot of prealgebra algebra (as opposed to prealgebra arithmetic).  If you daughter is a strong math student, she should be fine.

• Like 1

Maybe you could do the Keys to Algebra and just pick the topics that you think she should cover/revise over the summer? My current plan to do Jousting Armadillos after SM 5B before delving into AOPS pre-algebra since I'm not in a rush to get to algebra yet. Jacobs is planned after that though.