Menu

Name that LA supplement (8th grade & up)

This is for my rising ninth grader, but she's my non-academic child. She's a good reader (now), but could use some work on reading comprehension (think ACT/SAT style, but also shows up when she reads upper level literature where she doesn't always "get" what happens until we talk about it).

I'm also looking for something that will help with reading/interpreting graphs of all kinds.

Should I just start doing test prep work slow & steady or are there some good books/ products out there for these things?

I agree with trying out the Khan SAT practice.  The Critical Thinking Company has a series Reading Detective that might help.  The highest level  targets grades 7/8, I think, but it might be a good jumping-off point to get her focusing a bit more. They also have a book designed for remediation, but I don't know how well that would fit.  ( Really, I think the free Khan idea should do the trick.)

First - thanks for answering!

DD#1 is using the free Khan SAT practice, so I'm familiar with it. DD#2 isn't a fan of reading on the screen, so she'll probably only use Khan for math practice. Even dd#1 does worse with the online Khan practice than with regular paper. (Maybe we just aren't a tech family!)

I have a couple of SAT/ACT prep books & saw a science one on Amazon the other day, so I'll probably get those if there isn't anything more helpful.

JoJosMom - I have seen CTC's "Detective" books & actually pulled out a catalog the other day to check on them. I'll keep that Reading Detective idea in my back pocket depending on how the prep work goes next year. I do think she just needs some tips and then lots more practice.

Thanks again for posting your thoughts. I was starting to lean toward just starting the test prep work & seeing if that helps. Knowing that's the #1 suggestion tells me that's probably the way I'll go.