Menu

Who's been to Petra?

creekland

Sigh.....

Thanks for the detailed report, dear. Safe journey home.

Thanks! We have mused that Philly is more dangerous than Amman... Amman has three to four times the population of Philly, yet just one quarter of the murders. No one worries when we go to Philly. It's all perception. This airport in Doha is also far more impressive and traveler friendly. It beats any airport I've seen in the US for traveler friendly TBH.

• Like 1

I can add one more thing... If anyone were to get something horrid on a flight to the US from Doha, they have to be super clever. Security here to get on a flight is the most thorough I've seen. Computers and cameras are checked separately, then sealed in bags until on board. There's an extra TSA equivalent line at the gate plus one for coming from another flight (so two after we landed from Amman in addition to security checks there). Passports have been checked at least four times. We have our own waiting room with no other access to it except through security. One can tell they don't want anything bad to happen either...

Americans and Europeans aren't the only ones who hate terrorism. The whole sane world hates it.

Gotta end now. We're boarding. Twelve and a half more hours, then customs and another two and a half home.

Then laundry... (sigh)

Wishing everyone a good day/night!

• Like 2

Well now I want to go.  I mean I did want to a few years back when I saw pictures from someone going there.    Hmmmm

Looking up tickets. 

We're totally home now.  It took 14 1/4 hours for the long return flight, not 12 1/2.  Some of that was because I forgot it takes longer to go west than east and some was due to avoiding the hurricane up near Ireland.  Still, it was a very easy flight - we watched a couple of movies, looked at the scenery from the different countries out the window, watched sunrise, caught cat naps, and similar.

It's nice seeing greenery again (green grass, vibrant trees), but we still talk about what we did, and didn't, do there.  I hope you get to go.  Petra, especially, is awesome.  If you find yourself with questions, ask.  If I don't know the answer, chances are, another boardie does!

We're still thinking Iguazu as a major new destination next as that has also been on my bucket list for a long, long time, but we'll have to contemplate if Jordan again in May or early June is a consideration.

• Like 1

We're totally home now.  It took 14 1/4 hours for the long return flight, not 12 1/2.  Some of that was because I forgot it takes longer to go west than east and some was due to avoiding the hurricane up near Ireland.  Still, it was a very easy flight - we watched a couple of movies, looked at the scenery from the different countries out the window, watched sunrise, caught cat naps, and similar.

It's nice seeing greenery again (green grass, vibrant trees), but we still talk about what we did, and didn't, do there.  I hope you get to go.  Petra, especially, is awesome.  If you find yourself with questions, ask.  If I don't know the answer, chances are, another boardie does!

We're still thinking Iguazu as a major new destination next as that has also been on my bucket list for a long, long time, but we'll have to contemplate if Jordan again in May or early June is a consideration.

Can I ask where your US flight orginated from and did you come back to the same point of origin? Don't disclose if that is too personal.

Just asking about different airports. As much as we love DTW and would like to give Detroit our business, so many times they are way more expensive than other airports. For our Egypt trip we are trooping across Canada and flying out of Buffalo, NY. We saved $600 a piece so paying $5.00 a day for long term parking was a bargain. It is 4.5 hours away. That sounds like a lot, but we are 3 hours from DTW so once one already has a commute that long, it doesn't sound so bad. I have wondered about other airports further away for international flights if cheap puddle jumper flights from here to there could be purchased.

Can I ask where your US flight orginated from and did you come back to the same point of origin? Don't disclose if that is too personal.

Just asking about different airports. As much as we love DTW and would like to give Detroit our business, so many times they are way more expensive than other airports. For our Egypt trip we are trooping across Canada and flying out of Buffalo, NY. We saved $600 a piece so paying $5.00 a day for long term parking was a bargain. It is 4.5 hours away. That sounds like a lot, but we are 3 hours from DTW so once one already has a commute that long, it doesn't sound so bad. I have wondered about other airports further away for international flights if cheap puddle jumper flights from here to there could be purchased.

I don't mind sharing.  This flight was from Philly.  Usually Baltimore (or sometimes Dulles) is our home airport, but Qatar Airways had such a good deal, we drove to Philly.  It's an hour further than BWI, but worth it.

For usual good rates consider Chicago.  One time we were able to get a cheap flight from Harrisburg to Chicago to leave.  I keep checking on that because Chicago prices are often really low, but it only happened that one time (finding a cheap flight to Chicago).  JFK is also less expensive, but it takes us a bit to get there, so we've never used that option.  

We always fly in to where we fly out.  Our car is there and we need it!  We prefer parking off site at special car park places that provide door to door service for less cost than airports charge.

I don't mind sharing.  This flight was from Philly.  Usually Baltimore (or sometimes Dulles) is our home airport, but Qatar Airways had such a good deal, we drove to Philly.  It's an hour further than BWI, but worth it.

For usual good rates consider Chicago.  One time we were able to get a cheap flight from Harrisburg to Chicago to leave.  I keep checking on that because Chicago prices are often really low, but it only happened that one time (finding a cheap flight to Chicago).  JFK is also less expensive, but it takes us a bit to get there, so we've never used that option.  

We always fly in to where we fly out.  Our car is there and we need it!  We prefer parking off site at special car park places that provide door to door service for less cost than airports charge.

Thanks!

My mom will go out of Chicago or believe it or not St. Louis (LOL WOW AIR which is hopefully more than strapping a lawn chair to the airplane wing with a bungee cord, one doesn't know with prices that low) when she goes to France next summer. Since she can't do the city driving, I am considering the possibility of putting her on the train the night before and giving her money for a shuttle from the station to an airport hotel, and then I only need to make the round trip to pick her up. Lately even the Chicago run from Detroit has not been competitively priced.

• Like 1

Thanks!

My mom will go out of Chicago or believe it or not St. Louis (LOL WOW AIR which is hopefully more than strapping a lawn chair to the airplane wing with a bungee cord, one doesn't know with prices that low) when she goes to France next summer. Since she can't do the city driving, I am considering the possibility of putting her on the train the night before and giving her money for a shuttle from the station to an airport hotel, and then I only need to make the round trip to pick her up. Lately even the Chicago run from Detroit has not been competitively priced.

Yeah that is more expensive than going to ORD to Miami or LAX.