Menu

Miller/Levine Bio Lab Manual? Is it worth buying?

I'm sorry if this has already been discussed, but I searched and didn't really see more than one or two posts about it. Feel free to point me in the right direction if necessary.

I did a bunch of research on Miller/Levine Bio (for the Macaw version), and I saw a lot of discussion about using Labpaq or The Home Scientist for labs, but has anyone used the actual Lab Manual that was designed to accompany the set? If you have, I'd love to hear what you thought. I've bought all the other components, so I just need to make some kind of decision on the lab part now, and this is the last resource I have to research before I feel like I can make an informed decision. 

Thanks!

FWIW, if you've got online access to the teacher resources, the lab manual (and TM) is all available free on line. (I got my access years ago, so I can't walk you through it, but it involved buying a book directly from Pearson and then getting free access to the online stuff). 

FWIW, I'm teaching the Macaw version of M-L this coming year (for the 2nd time, but 1st time was several years ago with my older 2 kids). I'm using a mash-up of lab resources, including the biology kit with lab manual from QSL (Quality Science Labs), with some labs probably skipped from that resource and some added from others. (Waiting on arrival of the lab manual this week to nail down my plans week by week, as I didn't find one single perfect resource). Last time, I used the Illustrated Guide to Biology Home Experiments book, and we had a fun year, but it was a bit overboard (my fault) with so much time in labs . . . I'll pul a few favorites from there, probably, but will be mixing things up this time. I thought the QSL kit sounded easiest to use, and I wanted something easy to use as my base. 

Thanks Stephanie. I don't have online access--after reading many of the posts here, I didn't even bother trying to fight with them over it and just bought used materials instead. 

It looks like most people are using some kind of mashup like you are. I'm near major decision fatigue here, but I'll do a little more research into it and force myself to make a plan. I've nailed down almost everything else for next year, and this is one of the final details. The sooner I can get it done, the sooner I can stop making myself crazy. Although lesson plans are up next...  :willy_nilly:

I was able to get online access, but this was about 5 years ago.  There was a post somewhere here at that time explaining very specifically, step by step, how to do that.  I believe it was by Ester Marie or something like that...   It was very helpful and worked perfectly!  

Other than that, I can't really offer an opinion because we were going through a family crisis event that year and were not able to put a lot of effort into labs.

I loved the curriculum with online access, though!  I wouldn't have been able to do it at the time without all the online access supplements.