Menu

Arabic help!

KungFuPanda

I was going to attempt to help but the video isn't available in my country. So at least I can bump this for you.

Ah man. I can't hear it at all and I'm hitting dead ends. The artist is Bassam Ayoub and the song is Melaya Laff. It seems pretty safe to go ahead with the choreography, but it feel a little blind without knowing the lyrics. I'm getting the impression she's shooting him down, but I just don't know what she's saying except later in the song when she just says "no no no no."

If it's a song, there's no way I can help. Even in English, I'm notoriously bad at lyrics.

Ugh, I know. All of the songs seem to be Egyptian dialect too, so you've gotta wade through that. I swear the guy is speaking clearly but the girl is so Disney-princessy high-pitched that I can't puzzle out her lousy two sentences. (And my Arabic has seriously atrophied.) I swear I'm gonna fake it and I NEVER do that.

• Like 1

No matter how many times I listen, I'm not getting what the girl is saying. I can gist the guy, but I don't know what her response is. Can you help me? It's two sentences. One at 1:44 and one at 2:16. You'll have my eternal gratitude!

Sorry took so long, I had this on my to do list, but here it is (I don't have arabic on my chromebook so can't type it out for you, if you want PM me and I'll send it to you). She repeats the same thing at both minute marks you listed. 

She is answering him:

You don't get tired strongly (Owee) 

Watch out, don't get tired quickly from circling me (min al-laff)

She is basically being coy with him. She is not flat out rejecting him.

The recording is not that great LOL, Took some better headphones for us to hear it (I did confirm this with my DH also since my Levant accent is better than my Egyptian, he can speak Egyptian having grown up watching their movies  :laugh: ).

Sorry took so long, I had this on my to do list, but here it is (I don't have arabic on my chromebook so can't type it out for you, if you want PM me and I'll send it to you). She repeats the same thing at both minute marks you listed.

She is answering him:

You don't get tired strongly (Owee)

Watch out, don't get tired quickly from circling me (min al-laff)

She is basically being coy with him. She is not flat out rejecting him.

The recording is not that great LOL, Took some better headphones for us to hear it (I did confirm this with my DH also since my Levant accent is better than my Egyptian, he can speak Egyptian having grown up watching their movies :laugh: ).

Thank you so much!!! I feel a wee bit better knowing it was hard for others to hear too. Even if I HAD heard her say min al laff I would have just thought she was saying melaya leff (the costume/covering) because, you know, it's in the title and all. Yep. Never would've gotten there on my own. I have an app that slows down my music and I still couldn't hear her.

Shukran to you AND abi_2_4 and Wendy and Amira for taking an interest. I <3 hive sourcing.

I usually like to have my lyrics in Arabic script, English alphabet transcription, and English translation before I even start, but I skipped ahead with this one because dancing with an actual Melaya Leff is a bit tricky and we needed the rehearsal time.