Menu

New Member from WV

AmyBeth

Hello,

My name is Amy, and I am a homeschooling mother of 3 children. We live in West Virginia. I have been gleaning a lot from this forum for some time, but I decided to join because I am delighted to see that there is still an active homeschool forum! While I deeply enjoyed e-mail groups in the past, those have largely become obsolete, and I just cannot get into the style of Facebook groups. So I am very thankful to have found this forum.

I am homeschooling a second grader, and we are doing a child-led Kindergarten/preschool experience for the five-year-old. We also have a two-year-old. I am very organized and we have a program that works for us, and I think we are doing well. Still I continue to search and search because I am sure there is something better out there that I should be learning about to make our homeschool so much better. But I am a penny-pincher, and a tweaker, so most of the ready-made programs don't really suit me for one reason or another. So I spend a lot of time trying to figure out how to mesh together my own resources, especially for history. I often think how nice it would be if I could just "fit in" to one of the many available programs, but I just can't, mainly because I am very particular when it comes to choosing literature.

One big aspect of homeschooling for me is that it takes so much time, and I often feel pressed for time. Our main school lesson time is 3 hours long, but there is also added planning, checking, directing homework etc. We leave home very little--mainly just for church and sometimes for basic shopping. However, I still feel challenged to get in everything like laundry, cleaning, cooking, and so on. I like to cook healthfully, and currently we are on a gluten-free diet which makes things even more challenging. My toddler is still doing a great deal of nursing, and is in diapers, and I am just very busy!

Anyway, I hope that my time here will help me learn from the experiences of others so that I can be a better (and maybe more relaxed inside) homeschooling mother.

Thank you!

Amy